Author Topic: Endoscopic Surgery  (Read 13410 times)

Sparky1962

Re: Endoscopic Surgery
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 04:13:39 pm »
Sorry, I should have requested RECENT experiences with Dr. Shahinian. I see there are quite a few older posts.

JimGagnepain

• Time keeps everything from happening at once!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 07:24:49 am »
To JimGagnepain - I, too, have been researching endoscopic removal of my 3cm AN. I'm currently on a surgery waiting list in Alberta, Canada. My doctors, a neuro-otologist (ear surgeon) and a neurosurgeon only get two operating days a month so it could be a long wait. According to the Acoustic Neuroma Association of Canada, endoscopic surgery is not offered in Canada. I have been in contact this week with the Patient Care Coordinator at the Skull Base Institute in LA. Apparently the endoscopic surgery is only 3 hours long leaving a dime sized bone plug compared to the 8-9 hour open craniotomy procedure that I'm waiting for here which they have to cut the hearing and balance nerves. There is a pre-op visit, surgery which uses a cold laser developed by NASA, two night hospital stay, you hang out in your hotel for the weekend, have a post-op check and usually fly home after 4 days. I'm waiting to get the hard copy of my latest MRI to send to them and then have a Skype consultation with Dr Shahinian (for a $990US fee). I'm doubting my health care insurance will cover the surgery but she couldn't give me a price until they have all the procedure codes after the consultation. I will try and get a ballpark figure before the consultation. With our Canadian $ being in the toilet I'm in for a huge bill!
The SBI has a very good website. Dr Shahinian has been doing surgeries for 20 years with the last 12 of them endoscopically. It sure sounds less invasive with NO cutting of the nerves, less facial nerve damage, less instances of CSF leakage and quicker general recovery time. Makes sense since there is a much smaller hole, NO manipulation of the brain and even the fact that the patient is under anesthetic for a third of the time makes a difference.
Even though my doctors never even mentioned the endoscopic approach in the last almost two years since my diagnosis (I found it by accident on the internet a couple of weeks ago) and are Canadian renowned surgeons, I'm definitely leaning towards this endoscopic surgery!
If any others have had surgery with Dr Shahinian, please share your experience!
Sparky,
You can search Dr. Shahinian on this site.  I did this, and there are a few people who have used him.  I recall reading that one of them lost his hearing, Post-OP, in the AN ear.  You'll also find a lot of people on this site, whose hearing was kept intact, with Microsurgical techniques.  I am hoping to get in with the House Clinic in Los Angeles.  I actually have a phone consultation today.
Diagnosed  11-2-2015
MRI: 2.4 cm AN, with 3 or 4 small cysts
SSD.  All else is very good.
Surgery 12-17-2015
Lekovich and Wilkinson - House Clinic

Mitz16

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 03:30:10 pm »
Hi there I’m from BC and just joined this forum because of your post do you hVe an update on what you did? Did you go to LA to get this procedure done? I’m considering it too as it tAkes so long to get this done here in Canada.  What was the cost ? If have a 3 cm AN and want it out! Thanks
Diagnosed with 30x28x26 mm acoustic neuroma
Progressive hearing loss and tinnitus
No other symptoms yet..

Mitz16

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 10:55:47 pm »
Hi I’m from BC and was wondering what route you ending up doing? I have a consult with an ENT surgeon on the 2 Nd Of Feb .. I too was wondering about skull base institute if our wait is too long thx
Diagnosed with 30x28x26 mm acoustic neuroma
Progressive hearing loss and tinnitus
No other symptoms yet..

JimGagnepain

• Time keeps everything from happening at once!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 01:15:06 am »
Not sure if you're asking me, or the other member.  My surgery details are in my signature.  I went to the House Clinic in Los Angeles, and had the surgery done at St. Vincent's hospital there.  It's been over 2 years.  My one-year MRI was all clear.  I'm very satisfied.
Diagnosed  11-2-2015
MRI: 2.4 cm AN, with 3 or 4 small cysts
SSD.  All else is very good.
Surgery 12-17-2015
Lekovich and Wilkinson - House Clinic