Author Topic: saying hello  (Read 8884 times)

kristin

Re: saying hello
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 08:24:04 pm »
i'm sorry...didn't you say you haven't had any hearing loss? why oh why would they do a translab surgery? that will be a 100% "chance" of losing your hearing. i'm not sure if you want my personal opinion on this, but i would ask another surgeon which method he/she would use. why would they start translab and then move middle fossa? for as long as i've been here (dx'd in dec 04, surgery in april 05) i have never heard of this technique.

my advice (ok..so i'm a little biased) would be to contact House Ear Clinic in LA, if you send your audiogram (very little hearing loss, right?) and your mri, they will call you for a free phone consultation (it wouldn't hurt, really) it doesn't necessarily mean you have to go there, but these guys are very skilled in acoustic neuroma removals (something like 3-4 a week) and at least you would get their opinion before you go and lose all your hearing.

i know your AN is bigger than mine was and you have more symptoms that i did, but that would make going to the best physicians all the more worth it. the two docs that personally recommended dr brackmann to me called him the "creme de la creme of acoustic neuroma removals" and one doc said "you only have one chance to go to the best doctor the first time"..well, he convinced me! and i have no hearing loss and no facial paralysis and i got to go to disneyland out of the deal!

please do yourself a favor and get another opinion on which method is the best for you...there could be a chance to save that hearing, but you'll never know unless you try.

kristin

www.houseearclinic.com
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

kristin

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 08:29:41 pm »
you can read more about HEI in the microsurgical options folder...
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Kim

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 07:55:01 am »
Approach depends on many factors, including size and location.  Hearing loss before is not in itself a dictator of approach.  If it comes down to sacrificing hearing or facial nerve, you would choose to lose the ear and keep the face.

(my tumor was nearly 4 cm; surgery fall of '04; lost the ear, no facial nerve damage whatsoever)

Your doctors sound like they are being extremely thorough, and you have a good team working for you.  Good luck.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 12:54:36 pm »
First of all I want to say thank you to all of you for caring so much. It really does mean the world to me.
Secondly,as far as House Clinic is concerned...the idea is wonderful but, the facts are still the facts. Number one fact is--I live in Illinois and can not afford the trip to Cali. That is my bottom line. I can only do what I am able to do.
I have faith in my surgical team and I believe my GP who has been my personal doctor and friend for many years would not send me to anyone that isnt qualified. I have three different opinions and all conclude the same thing. One did say I could do Gamma Knife but I am not comfortable with that approach.
Finally, Kim. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I am trying so hard to stay positive but I am terrified of this surgery. My tumor is considered large and its position is in an upward location. Saving my facial nerve is more important to me in the long run. I am so grateful you said what you did because I am trying as hard as I can to have faith. Adding doubts right now only causes the fear to grow. I believe my team is being very thorough. I know that I have a team that is very experienced and they seem more caring than any doctor I have ever had. I have a 50/50 chance of hearing loss but a 90+% chance of a saved facial nerve.I have to believe that my surgeons know what they are doing.
Please do not feel that I do not appreciate the concern. I just have made my decision, I have researched my options, and am ready to move forward with confidence. I realize opinions are given out of caring and concern. For that I am very grateful. Thank you all.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

cookiesecond

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 02:39:44 pm »
wind6,
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I have also read all the great reports from California. However, I cannot go there. I am having surgery in Raleigh NC at Duke.Dr.Fukushima has done many AN surgeries with much success. We just have to pray for those we have chosen. God will work mightily through them.
Take Care,
Lynn

Karen

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 07:59:14 pm »
Where in Illinois are you?  I am in Southern Illinois.  I had my surgery 18 months agon in St.Louis Misssouri.  Dr. Neely at Barnes Hospital did it.  Unfortunatly mine had totally involved my facial nerve and they couldn't save it.  I also had no symptoms other than a ring in my hear at first.  Mine was 3.5 cm/  aren
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 08:43:08 am »
Lynn,
You are in my thoughts and prayers too. We will be in surgery at the same time so I will be curious about how we recover together. Its great having a partner.
Karen, I am in Champaign/Urbana. My surgery is going to be at St.Johns in Springfield. My heart goes out to you on the facial nerve thing. That is my biggest fear. So how are you coping with the lose? If you don't want to talk about it openly we can e-mail back and forth.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.