Author Topic: Hearing Outcome  (Read 4143 times)

mmjgg123

Hearing Outcome
« on: October 14, 2015, 12:36:26 pm »
Hi, I had a 2.5cm tumor removed via retrosigmoid on July 1st.  I knew there was a 50% chance of losing my hearing permanently.  The surgeon said he spared my hearing nerve.  I've been deaf in that ear since I came out of surgery, and it's been three and a half months.  ANA actually replied to a question I posted on their Facebook page saying that if i come out deaf, chances are I will stay deaf.  The surgeon said differently  So my question is if hearing can improve from deafness.  My hearing was pretty normal pre-surgery, although I didn't have any hearing tests.  I'm extra worried because I have another AN, 1.5cm on the other side which will be removed within the year.

Thanks in advance,
Mary

Cheryl R

Re: Hearing Outcome
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:19:44 am »
Mary, are you going to a dr who has many NF2 patients?         Depending on the size and location of tumor you might be a candidate for mid fossa which not every dr does.  You need one who does them often.         The treatment of bilateral tumors has to be more careful to try and save hearing.    Also deciding on radiation will depend too on your dr as some believe that is not as good a choice for NF2 as others.   NF2 tumors can be more in a nerve as opposed to on a nerve for just a one sided AN.        I am lucky that still do have hearing on one side after surgery on that side.    I go to Univ of Iowa.           I am surprised to hear a dr say that the hearing could come back for you as do not think that is an usual happening.             Not an easy situitation to be in and I wish you well.                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:02:44 am »
Hi, I had a 2.5cm tumor removed via retrosigmoid on July 1st.  I knew there was a 50% chance of losing my hearing permanently.  The surgeon said he spared my hearing nerve.  I've been deaf in that ear since I came out of surgery, and it's been three and a half months.  ANA actually replied to a question I posted on their Facebook page saying that if i come out deaf, chances are I will stay deaf.  The surgeon said differently  So my question is if hearing can improve from deafness.  My hearing was pretty normal pre-surgery, although I didn't have any hearing tests.

I think we do have one person whose hearing recovered. You might browse posts in the hearing forum to find him.

As for me, my AN side hearing went completely bye bye 3 years ago and hasn't come back.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 11:14:28 am »
My understanding is if the hearing nerve was not severed during surgery or otherwise damaged by the tumor, there is always a chance of ‘some level’ of hearing returning. I’d rely on what your Doctor tells you. Not a reply to a facebook post. Remember, the healing process involves time, and depends largely on your individual circumstances.

Take Care  ;)

Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

mmjgg123

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 10:37:39 pm »
Arizonajack, did you have hearing going into surgery on your AN side?

mmjgg123

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 12:03:30 am »
Cheryl R, he said I don't have NF2....

i

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:02:42 am »
Interesting to hear dr said that.      If you have an intact hearing nerve than you may be a candidate for a cochlear implant.          You still have to keep a closer watch and more frequent MRIs when one has bilateral tumors.
                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care