Author Topic: Friedman/Giannotta vs. Brackmann/Schwartz -- any advice needed  (Read 11182 times)

rachaelginger

Re: Friedman/Giannotta vs. Brackmann/Schwartz -- any advice needed
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 03:53:35 pm »
My spouse just had a 2.7 cm AC removed in mid-Feb using the retrosig approach with Friedman/Giannotta. They were able to remove 100% of the tumor with no facial nerve involvement. She lost her hearing, which we were told might happen but she has had ZERO headaches since the surgery. Friedman told us that folks who have headaches prior to surgery related to the tumor are often the folks who experience them post surgery. Dr Friedman trained under Brackman at House and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and Dr Giannotta. Since we have returned to Atlanta, they have personally called and e-mailed us numerous times. Kris, the patient coordinator walks you through each step to prepare for surgery and is a gem. We have Zero regrets about our decision. We would be happy to talk to you further and you can speak to my spouse who is about 2 months post surgery.

Rachael Nead

UpstateNY

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 09:35:32 pm »
tonyc,
Congratulations on the excellent result.   It is good to hear about another successful outcome from the House Clinic.  Drs. Slattery and Schwartz were my surgeons at the House back on Feb 18th...with very good results as well.

rachaelginger,
Congratulations to your spouse.  We are indeed lucky to have such good surgical teams available to us.  I chose to have my surgery at the House, and wish they had a patient navigator like Kris.  I spoke with her during my decision process and she was so helpful.
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

v357139

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 06:47:06 pm »
JaneMD you decided between House and Keck, two outstanding choices.  I went with Schwartz and House, partly because I favored translab.  It was a personal choice based on hearing the doctors and weighing what they said.  You weighed and made a choice, which is the way to do it.  Your husband's gut instinct is also not to be ignored.

You said you were all ears, so I will suggest if you wanted to vet on headaches any further, there are articles in the member section of this site that you could read.  Then you could question Gionatta one last time.  I think I also have some articles, PM if you need them.

Fyi I would not question Schwartz's motives.  In addition to being an excellent doctor, he is a wonderful person.  I have first hand experience.  All the best.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!