Author Topic: Guided imagery and meditation pre- Gamma Knife  (Read 2553 times)

Mlamb

Guided imagery and meditation pre- Gamma Knife
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:14:28 pm »
Hello Everyone,
I am scheduled for Gamma Knife treatment on 4/14 at NYU with Dr. Kondziolka. I am so incredibly nervous and stressed out. Has anyone used any guided imagery apps or links that you would recommend prior to treatment?  I have a week to calm down a bit. Maybe something I can  even play during the treatment. I used guided imagery for successful surgery prior to my surgery and it really helped. I went into surgery very relaxed and optimistic. Just wanted to see anyone had any other recommendations or I'll just use that guided imagery link I used prior to surgery.

Thanks everyone!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Guided imagery and meditation pre- Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:49:41 pm »
Since you've used it successfully before, then you probably know more about it than anybody else. I haven't seen it mentioned here and I've been a member since 2012.

I've had Gamma Knife and it's no big deal.

The head frame is probably the worst of it and I got put to sleep when they put it on.

The treatment takes about a half hour. The GK machine is practically silent and only surrounds your head.

It's a piece of cake compared to the noise and confinement of an MRI.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

JML

Re: Guided imagery and meditation pre- Gamma Knife
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:48:10 am »
Hi Mlamb. I had GK treatment last Nov. and my experience, like arizonajack's, was that it was "no big deal". Other than the numbing of the pin sites, which didn't hurt, I had no medications at all and was wide awake for the placing of the head frame, which took only a few minutes. I'd been concerned after reading accounts of people who found it painful and had in fact decided on CK in order to avoid the head frame but... long story... decided in the end to go with GK and I'm glad I did. It wasn't bad at all. I didn't use guided imagery or any other technique because I didn't need them, but since it's been helpful to you in the past it'd probably be helpful again. Does Dr. K know how stressed you're feeling? I'd let him know and hopefully he can calm your fears. Best of luck to you!