Author Topic: Cognitive problems  (Read 33641 times)

Jeff

Re: Cognitive problems
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2006, 01:55:11 pm »
Hi battyprincess,
Yes, I am now our school's librarian, which I am really enjoying. Because communication will become difficult after I am deaf, I am also taking classes that would allow me to move into the field of cataloging, a more behind the scenes aspect of library science.
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Battyp

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2006, 03:59:56 pm »
I'm needing a new job hmmm...that sounds like a possibility.  I'm a reading teacher but am having difficulties with my speech and stamina so am not in the classroom this year.  Libraries are quiet too. 

Have you considered cochlear implants?  I read if you have tinitus in both ears and are deaf they can do cochlear implants.  I was freaking out about a month ago as I was told I was losing hearing in my right ear.  Lost the hearing in my left from the nerve damage in my AN side.  They were discussing options with me and that was the only option that would work.  Just wondering if it might be an option for you. 

Do you work at your school as the librarian? 

Jeff

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2006, 12:26:49 am »
Yes I am the school's librarian now. My library is sometimes quiet, but I spend a lot of time teaching research skills and technology skills.  So it isn't always quiet, but quite a change from teaching band. Very few people with NF2 are able to use the cochlear implant. It requires an intact auditory nerve and cochlea, and I don't think that doctors attempt to save the hearing nerve in many cases, certainly when the translab approach  is used. I know 2 people with NF2 who had them and had to have them removed later, and one man who still uses a cochlear implant. I did get an Auditory Brainstem Implant at House during my last surgery, but I am among the unfortunate 8-10% who are unable to use it.  You can read about it here http://www.hei.org/news/facts/abifact.htm I m hoping to get the next generation Pentrating ABI when I have my other tumor removed (now 3.5 cm but perfect hearing). It is fascinating technology. This link has some really cool images of and information about the device: http://www.hei.org/news/presskits/pabikit.html

Have  good one,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Boppie

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2006, 12:54:44 am »
A thought for a second career for a teacher....As a retired teacher myself, I know there is a high demand for help in the learning disabled, the hearing impaired area, and deaf student area.  Would one be able to fit in here with small groups and one on one classes?

It makes me so sad to read that good teachers have to leave their jobs.  Surely, there are grants for retraining.  A teacher is a teacher for life!

Jeff

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2006, 08:57:42 am »
Hi Boppie,
You make a great point. I am working to become proficient in American Sign Language so that I can communicate with my family, but that will also allow me to work withina school for the deaf, ideally as a librarian, since I am now a librarian. However, my ultimate goal is to learn to lipread well enough to stay right where I am. One of my biggest fears is becoming deaf and no longer being able to perform the duties of my job because communication is too difficult. I am doing everything that I can to keep that from happening.

What grade level/subject did you teach Boppie?

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Battyp

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2006, 10:45:44 am »
I am a special ed ( here we call them exceptional education) teacher.  Due to my speech, fatigue and mobility there is no way I could handle being in a classroom 5 days a week and I'm a single parent so full time employment is a must. 

I've applied at vocational rehab to see if they can send me for some training for something but have yet to hear from them.  I've been told that if I'm not back to work in august ready to go then I'm gone. 

Jamie they have to make modifications in order for you to keep your job be providing you with a signing interpreter.  Vocational Rehab can/will help with that service.  I'd contact them and get the ball rolling just in case..they will also pay for any classes you need to take in order to keep your job. 

Maybe in a few months things will be different but not sure. I'm 7 mos post op  I keep hoping I'm going to wake up one morning and feel my face and my speech problem will be gone!  I've given up on my sanity returning! 

Thanks for sharing Jamie! :)

Boppie

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2006, 10:21:18 pm »
Jeff,

I took my B.S. in Education 7-12 degree in Ohio.  I taught English Composition, grammar and spelling in New Jersey.  Then I moved to Texas and taught middle school grades 5 and 6 in the private Episcopal School system.  I have also taught Religion. I have certification in that too.  I am retired from the classroom, but teach machine quilting to adults.

Teachers can fit into so many places and with little retraining.  I like to use the term 'Educator" for teachers.  It is a profession with great dignity.  Teachers can write, publish, research, facilitate, organize, lead.  We are positive and capable people.  Salaries are catching up in some places, too!  That is wonderful.

More tips for teachers:  learn about Grant Writing, text book survey services, and copy editing for magazines and book publishing, teaching adults ESL and GED in a University Continuing Ed. System.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 02:09:20 pm by Boppie »

Battyp

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2006, 10:23:09 pm »
Thanks for the insight Lois! 

I went to vocational rehab for help and was told I was disabled  ...DUH>>.handicapped people work I just can't figure out here (in Fl) where   :(
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:31:47 pm by battyprincess »

thecakes

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2006, 02:33:54 pm »
  I have cognitive problems too.  I lock myself out of the house.  Lock the car keys in the car.  Can't remember dates, etc.  My Dr. Just gave me some Aricept to try.  This is an alzheimers med.  I hope it works.  Anybody else on this?