Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 3049 times)

megmas

New to Forum
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:21:08 pm »
Hi Everyone! 

I was diagnosed with a 1.2 cm acoustic neuroma in February, 2015.  I went to my ENT as I noticed hearing loss in my left ear.  He had me see the audiologist after seeing nothing wrong with my ear.  When we were done, the audiologist said "Wow, you were right!  You really do have hearing loss in that ear!"  My ENT scheduled a bunch of blood work for me along with an MRI and had me schedule another appointment with him when results were in.  I was able to see my blood work was normal, so I was confident when I went for next appointment.  When I heard, the good news is it's "benign", I didn't know what to think.  My ENT went on to explain and talk to me for at least a half hour of what an acoustic neuroma is.  He explained the different options I would have available and answered all of the questions that I could come up with, albeit, not that many as I was in shock.  He further told me that an old college roommate of his had a 2.6 cm surgically removed in that past couple years and explained much more to me.  He gave me the recommendations of two neurosurgeons to seek out.

I only contacted one, Rafael Tamargo at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.  After researching both surgeons, he seemed like the best, an expert.  I went to meet with him in March, with my husband.  He did not recommend the gamma knife due to where my tumor is located.  He did, however, recommend the W&W as mine is small.  I left the appointment in a whirlwind!  I was prepared to schedule the surgery for this summer and he told me to wait?!  No!

I spoke with him a few weeks later, after processing everything, and asked if we could move forward with the surgery this summer.  I wanted it out and to forget about and to move on with my life.  He suggested to come back for another MRI in May and we could see if it had grown at all and we could discuss further.  There was no change in the size.  He wanted me to have another MRI in six months, November.  I told him my thoughts, my reasoning!  I have two teenage children and will be sending the oldest off to college next summer.  Not to mention tax season, our health insurance is great...on and on.  He said he would do it if I wanted him to.  I asked if I were his wife or daughter, what would he recommend surgery now.  He said, "Absolutely, wait! There is a 50% chance that it will warrant surgery in the next five years, but there is a 50% chance that it won't."

I'm going back to my ENT in a couple weeks to have my hearing tested again as I think it's gotten worse and to get a hearing aid.  I'll post again after the appointment...

So here I am, reaching out to this forum.  I have read posts for months, but have just now joined to tell my story and get any feedback that any of you may have.  Yes, it took me awhile, to process :) 

Thank you for letting me share  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:57:24 pm by megmas »

MG

Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 07:26:37 am »
Hello Megmas,

Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will get plenty of replies to your post. I am still on W&W after almost 3 years due to my age, 65, I was not a good candidate for surgery because of other health reasons. You still have some time to make your decision. Most AN'ers get at least three or more opinions from the top AN doctors. I wish you the best of luck ! :)

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 08:34:28 am »
Hi Megmas and welcome to this forum of caring, supportive new friends .....

Although it is frustrating to know you have an AN and want it out of there, please do your homework before jumping into surgery.

Because ANs are still considered rare and located within the skull, this is one time you want someone with vast experience treating specifically acoustic neuromas, not just any brain tumor.

There are a number of experienced surgeons in the US who will give you a free evaluation based on looking at your MRI and audiogram (if you have a recent one).  I would urge you to take the time to get a second, third, etc. opinion ..... if for no other reason than confirming what you have already been told.  If you want names/contact information for experienced AN doctors, just let us know.

You might want to take a look at the ANA Decision tree:  https://www.anausa.org/pretreatment/acoustic-neuroma-decision-tree

Many thoughts and prayers as you walk through this decision-making process.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011