Author Topic: Advice on Hearing Aids  (Read 10345 times)

SueLL

Advice on Hearing Aids
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:56:22 pm »
About 5-6 months after GK I lost useful hearing in my AN ear.  My audiologist has me trying a Starkey in the ear hearing aid to amplify sounds, and my trial period is almost up.  My hearing fluctuates with the weather and other factors (sleep, stress).  On good days I hear the phone dial tone better with the hearing aid, but I still cannot make out conversation too well on the AN side.  The audiologist says tests indicate that I have some hearing in the bad ear and that the hearing aid improves my overall hearing ability.

My question is - should I try the CROS hearing aid?  The dr. is willing to try what I'd like, but he feel that the CROS is giving up on the hearing in my AN ear.  He is not aware of a system that would amplify sounds in my AN ear while also sending them to my good ear.  I figured if such a system existed that my AN forum friends would know about it!!

To those that use the CROS - did you have any hearing in the bad ear when you started the CROS?  Is it worth giving up hearing that is not all that useful?  Did any of you have other hearing aids before the CROS? 

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Advice on Hearing Aids
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:36:00 pm »
I read back over your previous posts and you mentioned in February that your AN hearing was down to 20-30%. Today you note that you can't make out conversations even with a hearing aid but you can hear a dial tone. That's because the dial tone is in a frequency that you can hear and conversation is in a frequency that you can't hear.

My first visit to the audiologist in Feb 2012 showed that I could hear some of the tones but my voice recognition was zero. The audiologist ordered me the BiCROS system and it's worked rather well for me the last few years, with some exception as you'll read in

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21818.msg979766145#msg979766145

You'll also read that the new generation of CROS II and Audeo V is supposed to be a vast improvement over the equipment that I've had for the past three years. The members currently using the latest equipment have good things to say about it. I'm looking forward to getting mine in a couple of weeks and I will post progress reports over in that thread.

Meantime, I have no way of predicting which way your hearing will go over the next few months but if you have the opportunity for a free trial of the CROS II and Audeo V (V90 is the top of the line) you might find that it works so well that you'll give up on the less than serviceable hearing on your AN side.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 01:55:05 pm »
A Bone Anchored Hearing Aid, BAHA, could be the answer. It can be tuned for your AN ear, and you can hear it in your good ear also. My guess is you will lose some more hearing in your AN ear and a BAHA might be the way to go.

James

SueLL

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:39:17 am »
Thanks, James!  I am traveling this summer but will be looking at new options once I am back home and can meet with the audiologist as necessary.  Hearing still fluctuates, but I will likely lose all hearing in the AN ear, so BAHA may be a possibility.  I need to get better about protecting what I have in the good ear.  I stupidly joined friends for fireworks at the beach on the 4th, never thinking about the potential damage.  Need to have earplugs in my purse at all times!
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

Echo

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 03:14:39 pm »
Hi Sue,

I still had some useable hearing in my AN ear when I had my GK treatment.  My word discrimination at the time of treatment was 40%.  Six months post treatment it dropped down to 20%.  One year post treatment continuing through to 22 months post treatment my word discrimination went back up to 40% and remained there.  While my hearing is useful in the AN ear, it's not great. Sounds are very far away and distorted if I'm not wearing a hearing aid.  My audiologist did not recommend a normal hearing aid for the AN ear because it would do nothing to help improve the clarity of the sound.  I opted for the Phonak Bi Cros because my good ear was also starting to loose high frequency sounds.  I had never worn a hearing aid before so I had nothing to compare the Bi Cros to.  What I compared it to, was how well it performed when I was wearing it compared to how things sounded when I wasn't wearing it.

I can't say enough good things about my experience with the Bi Cros.  I adapted very quickly to using them and love the improvement in overall sound.  There are times like busy restaurants where it can be challenging, but the positive experiences I've had, far out weight the negative ones.

Cathie

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Lillygold

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 07:47:56 pm »
I am trying the Cros too.  I Lost my hearing in the left ear due to an AN. I have had them for two weeks. So far I like them. I have problems in a restaurant with Them because things are really loud. I am learning to adjust them. I think the device in my left ear needs to be louder. I do like them so far. I see my audiologist Monday to see how I am doing.

Echo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 08:12:32 am »
Lillygold,

Quite likely your device does need the volume raised by your audiologist.  If your audiologist works similar to mine I can tell you I had mine adjusted 3 times over the first 9 months.  I was told she preferred to start me off at a comfortable level and work me up to the maximum range.  She has found her clients adjust better to this gradual increase in sound levels and I have to agree.  When we tested the higher settings before I was ready, I couldn't even handle the sound of my own voice.

As for restaurants, I try and find seating where the receiver in the AN ear is facing the quieter side of a booth or area in the restaurant.  It does help a bit to tone down the noise that it sends to your good side.

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

SueLL

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 09:59:47 pm »
Echo and Lillygold - Thank you for the replies!  I look forward to getting a CROS in late August when I get back home.  I'll share my experiences then.

arizonajack

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 11:09:09 pm »
SueLL, think CROS II and catch up on our CROS II thread:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21818.0

Phonak's website has lots of information, too.

http://www.phonakpro.com/com/b2b/en/products/hearing_instruments/cros_II/overview.html

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

NYLady

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:16:13 pm »
Just adding my 2 cents....

After GK last July, I lost all word recognition in my AN ear within three months can still hear tones...hearing in "good" ear classified as severe hearing loss, as it was prior to treatment.

Got Phonak  Audeo V70 with Bicros II and the difference is amazing.  Yes, still challenging in very noisy environment, but even folks with normal hearing are challenged in some situations.  Have only had these since early May, but so far a great improvement.  Adjustments are ongoing, but keep getting better.  Certainly more than worth a try prior to invasive devices.  Trial is free and you will know within that time whether or not it would work for you.  A home run for my situation and I hope for many others as well.

NYL

Vincent87

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:42:21 pm »
Mom had GK May 2005 and to say it was a bad outcome would be an understatement. Hydrocephalus, programmable shunt implanted, chronic vertigo.  She lost her hearing-had perfect hearing prior to GK-about three months after GK. 

Her good ear got overworked and she acquired a hearing aid two years ago.  She has an Oticon BTE (behind the ear).  And frankly I don't care if there are any audiologists on this website but it was my experience, after calling all of them in the state, that they're a bunch of used car salesmen!  Decide on a model and call around. The discrepancy in price can be between 300-1500.00!  Hearing aids are super frustrating...it's never gonna resemble what you had, it's amplification.

Good luck.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 10:45:16 am »
I never tried a hearing aid.  When I became SSD I opted for a BAHA implant and I absolutely LOVE it.

I've worn a BAHA since March 2008 and it just keeps getting better as Cochlear introduces new technology.  I just recently upgraded to the new BAHA5 - the smallest processor with the greatest sound capacity on the market. 

Definitely something for you to look into.

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dezm

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 03:54:36 pm »
I have a BP-100 (cochlear) BAHA, have had it for almost 4 years now.  When I got it, we chose the BP-100 because it was the newest one and the clinic I go to wasn't working with the Oticon Ponto yet.  Now, as I'm in the 3-5 year range of expected life for the device the clinic is recommending the Oticon Ponto -- but they indicated that the abutment I have should be able to accommodate either device.

Is there anyone else out there with experience with the BP-100?  Mine was rebuilt twice during the warranty period, and again last spring after my son knocked it off the abutment and it bounced on the tile floor (stopped functioning).  How long should/can I expect it to last until I will need to replace it?

Thanks.

arizonajack

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 09:14:58 pm »
How long should/can I expect it to last until I will need to replace it?

You pretty much have the same choice as you would have with any consumer product (hearing aids, electronics, appliances, vehicles, etc).

You use it as long as it works satisfactorily and until it malfunctions and can't be fixed anymore or you buy the brand new upgrade if the features excite you and you can afford it.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm