Author Topic: Scheduling Other Procedures after CK  (Read 2026 times)

Sailsurf

Scheduling Other Procedures after CK
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:39:25 am »
Hi Everyone looking,
The plan is to go in for CK treatment at Stanford in a month for my 4mm AN. I am also due to have an Esophageal Endoscopy procedure this year. I need to schedule the Endoscopy but I am not sure how long after the CK treatment I should wait. Sounds like I may not be feeling so well and I don't know if going under anesthesia after CK would be advised.
How long should I wait?

Tumbleweed

Re: Scheduling Other Procedures after CK
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:59:25 pm »
Hi, Sailsurf:

Short answer to your question: Please ask your CK doctor how long you should wait. They will know best.

Longer answer: It's impossible to predict ahead of time how you'll react to the CK treatments. Some people have minimal side effects from CK, while others (like myself) feel terrible afterwards for a month or two. (It was worth it for me: the "bad" reaction to CK meant, according to my doctor [Steven Chang], that my tumor was responding really quickly and strongly to the radiation treatments. I ended up having around 70% shrinkage in volume in the long run.) To be safe, you might want to schedule your endoscopy at least a couple months out, as long as the doctor who will perform that operation advises you can wait that long.

btw, you'll be in terrific hands at Stanford. That's where I had my CK treatments, and the results were nearly miraculous. That said, my results were literally extraordinary (not the usual).

If I may, I'd like to offer some advice: Before you go in for CK, buy some Rhodiola rosea capsules at a natural food store or online. After you have CK, start taking one capsule (roughly 350 mg dose) once a day in the morning (no more than one at a time, once a day); a terrific brand is Oregon's Wild Harvest. Rhodiola should help you recover from fatigue caused by the radiation treatments. It contains no caffeine or ephedra, but can be quite stimulating, so don't take it after 2 PM or it might keep you from sleeping. You might also want to wait a few days after your last CK treatment before taking rhodiola, to give the stimulating steroids they give you during treatment (to prevent swelling) time to wear off first. Rhodiola was a lifesaver for me and the closest thing to a silver-bullet remedy for extreme fatigue that I've ever used. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't take Rhodiola if you are bipolar, pregnant or nursing. (Dunno if you're a guy or a gal...)

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08