Author Topic: spinal neurosurgery  (Read 2836 times)

rosenbaron

spinal neurosurgery
« on: April 23, 2015, 02:29:39 pm »
Hello,

I realize that this forum is dedicated to Acoustic Neuroma (brain tumor), but because I had a largely unsuccessful, traditional major lumbar surgery involving L2-L5 in 2010, in Portland, Oregon, I am searching for a neurosurgeon that employs a minimally invasive procedure. I still have chronic pain and the only relief I have found is through high doses of oxycodone.

I have tried various palliative non-surgical measures, including epidural steroid injections of the affected nerve areas and acupuncture administered by a Chinese American, Internal Medicine physician (practice dedicated exclusively to acupuncture) who graduated from Stanford University Medical School, successfully provided traditional allopathic western medicine, and then spent several years in China studying acupuncture at a respected institution. I have had extensive physical therapy and continue to use NSAIDs (ibuprofen and Voltaren Gel). I have visited several neurologists (now in Tucson, Arizona) as well as a
respected neurosurgeon at the University of Arizona Medical School - who said there was nothing he could do for me.

I am trying to look "outside the box) at this point, and today discovered some miraculous reports of the work they are doing on brain tumors at the Skull Base Institute in Los Angeles. Does Anyone know if they do spine surgery (degenerative disc disease with spinal stenosis) or of other neurosurgery practices in the United States that employ minimally invasive spinal surgery with a high success rate in terms of relief of chronic lower back pain? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: spinal neurosurgery
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:01:41 pm »
hello, I'm not sure we can offer you many solutions since you are not an acoustic neuroma patient and yet I understand why you're reaching out. I had extensive spinal surgery in1981 on L4 L5 S1. You should be able to speak to your orthopedic surgeon about finding a neurosurgeon who can offer minimal invasive procedures. I definitely feel your pain and wish you the very best. Thanks for your post and best wishes to you.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mei Mei

Re: spinal neurosurgery
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:26:57 pm »
hello, I'm not sure we can offer you many solutions since you are not an acoustic neuroma patient and yet I understand why you're reaching out. I had extensive spinal surgery in1981 on L4 L5 S1. You should be able to speak to your orthopedic surgeon about finding a neurosurgeon who can offer minimal invasive procedures. I definitely feel your pain and wish you the very best. Thanks for your post and best wishes to you.

I feel your pain as well and suggest EDNF Forums especially those on Ehlers Danlos Syndrome since many people such as me with degenerative disc disease also have EDS.
Good Luck to you…as my doctor said across the desk:  Why do bad things happen to good people?   when discussing the degenerative disc disease.
Hugs and healing to you.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh