Author Topic: anyone else have something sticking out of their incision?  (Read 2746 times)

quinn

anyone else have something sticking out of their incision?
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:11:03 am »
My thanks to ALL who have ever posted to this forum. I was diagnosed with my AN last spring and have been reading, reading, reading. I had my surgery March 17 and find myself once again reading, reading, reading - this time from a different perspective. I had the retrosigmoid approach for what was expected to be an 8mm tumor (based on the May and December MRI's) - when they got in there, it turned out to be 12 mm. I am glad I decided to get it taken care of now. I have some facial weakness which I am not happy about, but the surgeon assures me that time will take care of it. A specific question I have right now  - I was lightly massaging my incision a couple of days ago and felt this "thing" sticking up out of my head. I asked my husband to look at it and he said it's white, looks almost like a bone chip, not even 1/8 of an inch - right in the center of the incision line at the top of the incision. Anyone else had anything like this? I sent a picture to my surgeon who has asked for more pictures - it doesn't hurt, so he doubts it is anything to worry about. But he does want to get more views of it. Just wondering if anyone else had a weird thing with their incision. Other than feeling like my head is not really MY head, I am doing well.
Christine

Gloria Nailor

Re: anyone else have something sticking out of their incision?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:58:09 am »
I had a titanium screw work its way out of my incision ! My skull ended up having an infection, 1.5 YEARS after my surgery. Had all of the mesh removed and IV antibiotics for a month and it's fine now. Definitely have the surgeon check it out, Good luck to you.
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

quinn

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 02:01:28 pm »
I wouldn't have even thought this was possible! Good to know it could happen. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Mine turned out to be a suture that should have remained under the incision. The surgeon removed it and all is well.

MMusella

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 06:45:06 am »
I had surgery in January of this year, and my incision was glued ,nothing had to be removed  (I was coloring my hair 4 weeks after surgery ,of coarse being careful around the incision ), so if some thing was sticking out, I would get into your doctor and have it looked at. Just to be safe..
40 years old, was diagnosed with a 3.5cm.(right side)AN in Nov, 2014 and having surgery on January 13th 2015, live in upstate NY..had a 13 hour surgery. .100%tumor removal. I did 8 weeks of vestibular rehabilitation and went back to my life and career,  with no side effects :)... life is great!!!