Author Topic: Flying After Surgery  (Read 2362 times)

darrenpalmet

Flying After Surgery
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:07:19 pm »
All,

I just had retrosigmoid eight days ago.  I've done a search for this in the forum, and didn't see many threads.

Any advice on flying after surgery -- 'ideal' timing, potential issues, ways to mitigate them?  I was hoping to fly out exactly three weeks after surgery.

I would have a long flight from NY to LA (5+ hours), then another 16 hours to Sydney.  I'm fortunate in that it will be business class (thanks to wife's company), so I can fold down flat the whole time.  Ample time to rest, but I'm concerned about cabin pressure changes on the inner ear.  I still have swelling and a fair amount of fluid build-up in there.  I know this will get better in the coming 1-2 weeks, but am eager to get home.

I will wait to see what the surgeons say on my check-up next Monday, but I'm open to thoughts.

Darren
44yo male diagnosed 1/9/15
2cm left-side touching brainstem
Pre-treat: Constant low-level tinnitus, no facial/balance issues, serviceable hearing (PTA=28.3; SD=52%)
Retrosig with Selesnick/Gutin at MSKCC on 4/7/15
Post: Facial nerve perfect, retained hearing (test results TBD). Great results so far!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Flying After Surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:32:20 pm »
Hi Darren .....

It sounds like you are doing well post-op.  Onwards and upwards!!

Re: flying post-op ..... I flew from CA to DC and on to WV 12 days post-translab four years ago with no problems other than extreme fatigue.  The fatigue was largely due to weather-related flight delays, making the journey five hours longer than scheduled.  I had no pressure changes, except in my "good" ear.

It is a good thing to upgrade to business class.  I would also highly recommend wheelchair assistance in the airports because standing and/or walking for a while after surgery can be very tiring ..... plus wheelchair people (and their caregiver/s) bypass the long security lines.

If you have fluid build-up (I did not), you may want to check with your surgeons before embarking on such a long trip.  It would not be good to get in trouble half way there.

Many thoughts and prayers .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011