Author Topic: tinnitus become bilateral?  (Read 5366 times)

finlayargyle

tinnitus become bilateral?
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:46:31 pm »
Has anyone else had experience of their unilateral tinnitus becoming bilateral? ?

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: tinnitus become bilateral?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »
Yes.

But I think not the way you're thinking.

I have had mild tinnitus in my non-AN ear for about 10 years and have only had my AN tinnitus for about 3 1/2 years.

I'm guessing that you are asking about the other way around.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »
I have tinnitus in both ears, but it is much louder in my AN ear.  I don't know when it started, I have had tinnitus all of my life.  Even as a kid, in elementary school, I had it.  I never thought much about it, which ear, how loud etc until my AN ear went off the wall with tinnitus a year ago.  The hearing in that ear pretty much shut off, the tinnitus changed from a mild ring to loud whooshing, and I ended up in an ENT's office and becoming a member of this esteemed club.  Shortly after that, the hearing came back and the whooshing stopped, but it was replaced by very loud ringing in the AN ear.  My good ear has a low volume ringing at all times.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

caseyflanagan

• Diagnosed Feb 2, 2015 10 x 6
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 04:33:25 pm »
Wow, this post is so timely. I have tinnitus in my left ear, but two nights ago I had a freakish migraine that was not painful, but it was a full-blown electric storm of activity. Buzzing sensation, tingling, fullness on opposite side of head from my acoustic neuroma side. My vision seemed improved and there was tinnitus in the right ear that resembled a sound I recognized from times I'd pressed on a nerve on my temple and it created a rumbling in the ear.

When I awoke the morjing after the migraine, I still had the noise and slight fullness and assumed it would go away after another night of sleep.  That's today, but I still have the symptoms. So today my non-acoustic neuroma side has tinnitus that rivals the tumored ear.
Diagnosed Feb 2, 2015  10 x 6

JoyNJ

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 07:08:22 pm »
Yes, I have bilateral tinnitus. It started in my left (non AN ear) many years ago, around the time I began to have hearing loss in that ear. Fast forward to June of 2012, and I began to have episodes of horrible vertigo, so my doc sent me to an ENT. He ordered an MRI, pretty sure I had an AN in my left ear, since I was practically deaf in that ear. Imagine his surprise when the MRI showed a "Large" acoustic neuroma in my RIGHT ear. He had his audiologist do a hearing test that day and lo and behold, I had some moderate hearing loss in the AN ear.
Around this time, the tinnitus in my non AN ear began to get louder, but I had none in my AN ear.
I had 25 radiation treatments on the right side, and with the exception of one episode of almost deafness in my AN ear which started 1 day after my treatments were done (treated with Dexamethazone, with good results) I did not notice any difference in my hearing until about a year later. The tinnitus began about then and although it has increased slightly, it is nowhere as bad as the non AN ear.

I got a hearing for the AN ear about 10 months ago and noticed that the tinnitus did calm down a bit. And 3 months ago I got a second aide for my (almost) deaf non AN ear. I have a very narrow band of hearing in that ear. I have noticed a slight decrease of the tinnitus in the non AN ear. And as someone in another thread said, if I'm going to become deaf, I may cherish the tinnitus. I can not imagine absolute silence! I'll always have my chirps, buzzing of the ever present mosquito, and, at times, some kind of musical tune to keep me company.