Author Topic: Difficult decision - GK ?  (Read 12947 times)

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Difficult decision - GK ?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 10:52:01 am »
Funny story. I'd originally been scheduled for GK in Dec 2012 but got word that my three doctors had a scheduling conflict so I was rescheduled for Jan 2013. After that I referred to my doctors as Dr Howard, Dr Fine and Dr Howard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53KcqITIPlA

Anyway, at one point I joked to a friend of mine that I was going to mark the side of my head so the Drs would know where the AN was. I wasn't serious, of course, but weeks later I'm sitting on the gurney waiting for the head frame when the nurse comes in and hands me a marker and asks me to mark the side of my head where the AN was. I laughed so hard I had to explain why it was so funny.

The silence of the GK machine was a welcome relief from the MRI machine. So silent that I wondered if GK was just a scam. They charge $60,000 and put you in a machine that doesn't do anything. (Just kidding.)

Your hellboy marks on your forehead will take a few weeks to subside. During that time you will be compelled to touch them and look at them in the mirror. I was. I even took a photo of them.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Glupson

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 12:31:32 pm »
The best placebo effect ever  ;D

Today, I am just a little bit nervous about symptoms which are present all the time  :-\

CrystalV

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 10:53:48 am »
I am also 50 and underwent Cyberknife, which I believe is very similar to gammaknife.  My procedure was done 5 years ago and due to the recent passing of a neighbor from brain cancer I went back for a follow up MRI.  I had not had an MRI for a couple years because all symptoms were stable and I didn't feel there was any need to expose myself to radiation.  I am amazed and excited to say that five years post treatment my tumor has shown more shrinkage.  I myself am VERY pleased with the results of undergoing this procedure vs. surgery.  No side affects for me and the results and recovery were non eventful.  I hadn't even considered sharing my information until I participated in the Brain Cancer Awareness walk just a week ago and met a 25 year old who recently underwent the surgery.  After visiting with this family who was told that was their only option I want to make sure others know they need to do RESEARCH.  I also was told that surgery was my only option, was scheduled for the next day when thankfully my husband contacted someone who game me this other option.  I don't know this 25 year olds statistics but can tell you the outcome after surgery was not one I would want.  It has only been a couple months since her surgery so I hope with therapy that she regains a normal life, however, her facial muscles are not what they use to be, her eyesight is not good in one eye and even her personality has been effected.  Please let me know if you have any other specific questions.
GOOD LUCK!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 12:21:53 pm »
Hi CrystalV and welcome to this forum .....

Just a point of clarification for other possibly new patients reading here ..... MRIs contain no radiation,  CT scans are the ones that use x-rays.  MRI stands for magnetic resonance imaging and use magnets to create the images.  See:  http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/MedicalImaging/ucm200086.htm

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Glupson

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 08:20:55 am »
Hi everyone,

Here I am for an update, almost two months after my GK treatment.

During the first week, I had some bad headaches, mostly due to headframe. Other thing that worried me – the left side of my gingiva was swollen, inflamed, it was almost impossible to brush my teeth. And the left side of my face was numb. I talked to my surgeon, who explained me that it was a strong immediate reaction to the radiation, and he sent me the drug prescription for cortisone. But finally, I didn't need it, the problems just disappeared. Cool  :)

Till today, I have my symptoms few times a day – it is a tingle on the left side of my mouth and tongue – not more, not less than before the GK procedure. So far so good  8)

Have to wait 4 months more for my first MRI.
In the meantime, life goes on...

SueLL

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 10:42:47 am »
Hi Glupson - Yes, my first symptom after GK last July was numbness in my tongue and side of face.  It still comes and goes.

Even though you'll feel pretty normal for the most part, don't forget that your body has gone through a medical procedure that will affect you for quite some time.  You'll likely have days of fatigue here and there and some wacky symptoms will come and go.

Congrats on making it through!
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

Glupson

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 05:10:02 am »
Hi Glupson - Yes, my first symptom after GK last July was numbness in my tongue and side of face.  It still comes and goes.

Even though you'll feel pretty normal for the most part, don't forget that your body has gone through a medical procedure that will affect you for quite some time.  You'll likely have days of fatigue here and there and some wacky symptoms will come and go.

Congrats on making it through!

Thanks for your answer, and the friendy warning that it is not over! Being aware of it helps not to be dissapointed, if symptoms come back or get worse.

GP9

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 01:36:50 pm »
GK was an easy decision for.me. Surgery has a long recovery, and I don't get sick days, nor regular unemployment. Radiation would have been every day for a month, and I travel, so can't come over lunch hour, as was suggested.

There were no side effects, except for further hearing damage.  I was somewhat having balance problems for a couple of days.

My hospital stay was 0600-1300 hrs. It was done at Colombia Presbyterian by Dr. Sistine. He's a goofball, as is Dr. Isaacson. This made things almost fun. The nurses are nice too. The only fly in the ointment is Dr. Sisti's receptionist. When I have to make appointments for MRI scans, she is a little *****y.