Author Topic: leakage from ear...  (Read 5061 times)

lc1966

• Frustrated
leakage from ear...
« on: March 12, 2015, 07:10:04 pm »
I have had seven surgeries since 05/14. First tumor was diagnosed and operated on in 2007 at UCSF...long story, I got MRIs for 4 yrs that were sent to my doctors and they seemed like all was good...later that year I lost my ins., 2011, tumor grew back to large to do gamma knife. Anyway 7 surgeries later, lots of complications, tumor is almost gone! Thanks to Dr Gore at St Vincents providence in Portland.
The reason I am writing this is becayse I am getting fluid from my DEAF ear, nothing is helping, eardrum is intact, the Drs. keep saying its yeast?? Its been going on along time...just wondering if this happened to anybody else??? My ENT is at a loss! So am I! Any help??
Thanks for listening!!
Linda

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Re: leakage from ear...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:05:48 am »
Hi Linda:

I wish you had some answers to your question, because my deaf ear started leaking fluid yesterday and hasn't stopped.  I'm 8-months post-op and I haven't previously had any fluid leakage from my ear. 

Is this something to ask the doctor about or a common occurrence?

Thank you,
Michelle
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

staypoz

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 01:55:47 pm »
I did have a CSF leak from my ear a few days post-op.  It is rare, but if you have any concerns, you should contact your doctor. 

Good luck!

staypoz

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 03:19:50 pm »
If you are leaking fluid, really good chance its a CSF Leak.
If fluid is leaking out it also means germs can leak in.......
That's a potentially a very serious complication... so you should get it looked at
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »
Thanks Paul:

My ear has been leaking since yesterday afternoon.  Just minutes ago a stream of fluid fell out of my deaf ear again.  I caught quite a bit on a Q-Tip and put it in a bowl with plastic wrap.  I called our local clinic to see about getting it tested, but I'll probably have to wait until tomorrow. 

My eye has also been discharging a tiny stream of tears, but the fluid out of my ear is sort of waxy colored, but very watery.  Now that it's late in the day and my head pressure is up, my ear is discharging more fluid.  It did the same thing last night while sleeping on my deaf side.

I hope it's nothing.  Other than being my dizzy-self, I feel pretty good and I have pretty good energy. 

I guess getting the fluid tested is the next step.

Thank you.

2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:25:07 pm »
Good luck, Michelle, with getting it tested tomorrow,, please let us know what is said.

Linda, maybe you could contact Dr. Gore's  office and ask him,, maybe your local ENT is just not familiar with CSF fluid. I don't think it is "normal" for either of you to have this leakage. The Dr. told me it could come out nose or ear. I never had it though.

You both have been through a lot and deserve a quick answer. Please come back and let us know.
Hugs and best wishes,,,,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:59 am »
This sure sounds very strange.     CSF would not be coming out the eye.     CSF is very clear.    I would even want to say you have an ear infection but would think there would be some pain.         I hope you are seeing some dr today to get some answers.            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:53:51 am »
Hi Cheryl:

I'm not worried about my eye tearing because some doctor explained it to me, and I can't remember what they said but it made a lot of sense.

My ear leaked again all night.  It is not clear, but it looks like water with a bit of blood in it.  My local clinic opens at noon today, so I'll take my ear and samples down there. 

I think I'm getting some post-nasal dripping too, because once I lie down my throat gets congested and I cough.  It sounds like I have a cold, but I don't.  During the day while I'm up I don't have a sore throat or cough...

I do have some pain in my ear:  I too have thought about an ear infection, but I didn't think I could get one in my deaf ear.

Anyway, I'll get it looked at today.

Thank you!

Michelle

NYLady

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
Hi Michelle...

I think you could still have get an infection in your ear whether or not you can hear out of it or not.  Also, possibly could be allergies....'tis the season.

Happy to see you are producing what I am sure are amazing quiches.  How are the balance exercises working out?  We are expecting more storms tomorrow and today my balance and equilibrium are in a world of their own.  Tinnitus is cranking up and overall, not a terrific day.  Do have some good news though...went to audiologist yesterday and will be trying out Phonak's new Audeo V bicros hearing aids.  Not sure whether or not its the CrosII technology or not, but it is the new Audeo V, which I am hoping will work for me...at least to improve my hearing a bit.  My audiogram was the pits!!!  No surprise there, especially with the increase I have had in "Huh", "Didn't get that" and "Sorry, could you please repeats"  I have been handing out.  Just another day in the life with an AN .  Still compared to what you and some of the others are dealing with, I am lucky  Keep strong Michelle.  Might not seem like it sometimes, but you really are on your way back.  I can almost smell the baked good from here.  Happy Easter.

Best to you,
NYL

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 01:42:24 pm »
Hi:

I just found out I have a CFS leak.  I was told there is a lot of fluid behind my eardrum and because my sinuses are so very swollen (chronic problem), the leak is from my ear.  I also have like a post-nasal leak when I lay down because of my swollen sinus; I can't help but cough and I sound like a smoker.  I was given a strong antibiotic and some antihistamine.  I was also told to contact my surgeon today, so I emailed his nurse. 

What's next?  Just the antibiotics, or will the leak require a fix-it procedure?

You can't just go with the flow; you have to flow with the go...

Love,
Michelle (Mimispree)