Author Topic: Intro to Standup Paddle boarding  (Read 6871 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Intro to Standup Paddle boarding
« on: March 15, 2015, 12:22:30 am »
I posted this on the FB group already and obviously want to post here also.  Time I put my time where my mouth is. SUP has changed my life and I think it is THE best therapy there is for balance problems caused by our little friends.

I have no commercial interest, I just want to pass along my good fortune and experience. I can bring a bunch of boards and paddles to a lake or protected bay somewhere in the Boston/ South Shore area. Give a quick class on how-to and let folks see what its all about on the water. If there is a lot of interest I can likely get a few friends to help. Spend a few hours on a sunny weekend day getting an idea about something that might change your life. Our outcomes after radiation or surgery and our response to VT is all very personal but for me this is what worked.

If anyone wants more info on SUP feel free to ask. If I could put this in a pill it would be considered a miracle drug.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:25:18 am by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Intro to Standup Paddle boarding
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:19:22 pm »
Don't live nearby?....you may still be able to be part of this.

I'm very active on the biggest SUP forum Standupzone. I recognize that many of you aren't local so I reached out for some assistance. If you are interested but don't live nearby I've already had a dozen people from various parts of the country indicate they would be happy to help. I also sent out the same message on Facebook. I expect a pretty good number of people will be willing to pitch in someway. One of the best things about standup paddleboarding is the community. I've never met so many good/nice folks in my life as in the last 7 years.

My intention for those of you in other areas is to be a matchmaker of sorts between the two worlds. Help folks with balance issues to hook up with a shop or individual for either free or low cost instruction or rentals. See if we can arrange deals on boards with shops, etc.. We'll see how it works out.

Again...I have zero commercial interest in this. In fact I'm anticipating its going to cost me some $ if anything but that's fine. I've been on the receiving end for more than my share. Time to upload some Karma.
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:09:05 pm »
Hi there. Last weekend we tried the stand Up Paddling and it was great! My hubby (the guy who was treated with proton therapy in 2013 for an acoustic neuroma) was really great at the SUP. He got up and he was standing and paddling with no trouble at all.  I could only kneel. It was pretty tough. I'm over coming a balance issue myself.  Now, thanks to you- I know a great way to work at my issue. I think I'll keep trying the SUP. Thanks for posting!   
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:12:23 pm »
Is it safe to assume you either aren't local or were on vacation?.... :). Plenty of folks go all winter here in the NE including me but it would be an unusual time of year for a 1st timer.

Nice that your husband was able to do so well, keep working at it yourself. One tip is to keep your eyes on the horizon as much as possible. I think that is what make SUP such great therapy....you have a constant reference to get all the balance processes in sync. I know fog is a killer for me personally.

Good luck....let me know how you do as you progress.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 12:37:10 pm »
I love this idea!  I can't join you, but I can understand how Paddle boarding would be a great vestibular exercise, and really force the good nerve to work for our compromised side.  I used to wind surf and post-surgery I've thought that too would be a good way to enhance my vestibular abilities.  Now that I no longer live on the California coast, paddle boarding sounds great! 

You have created a new entry on my "New Normal Goals List." 

Thank you,
Michelle
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 08:40:18 am »
Get out there Michelle...lots of folks that are on standup boards now are former windsurfers. I'll be surprised if you don't fall in love.

So far I have a bunch folks of from nearby that want to help me with time and gear when I do it locally. I also have a growing list of folks interested in helping from around the world.
Portland, ME
Hudson Valley
Central, southern, and SE Idaho along with western Wyoming and parts of northern Utah
Hood River, OR (once my brother gets back there)
Ireland
Tasmania - you are definitely the furthest away Moina..:)
There will be some in Calif.
This is just the start, I'm sure the list will grow. If you are interested but not near a listed location let me know and I'll see if I can find something.

I'm thinking I will probably do clinics/introductions a few times this summer. Likely location is somewhere around Plymouth, MA but I may travel a bit to spread the qeography.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:57:38 am by stoneaxe »

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 02:21:59 pm »
Is it safe to assume you either aren't local or were on vacation?.... :). Plenty of folks go all winter here in the NE including me but it would be an unusual time of year for a 1st timer.

Nice that your husband was able to do so well, keep working at it yourself. One tip is to keep your eyes on the horizon as much as possible. I think that is what make SUP such great therapy....you have a constant reference to get all the balance processes in sync. I know fog is a killer for me personally.

Good luck....let me know how you do as you progress.

Thanks for the suggestion and I wish we'd be able to meet but we're Florida- (don't hate, lol >:D) I definitely need to get out there and rent a paddle board.  It is a bit of a struggle for me but I'll work at it.  I  will try to focus on the horizon, just as you say. Thanks for the tip!  :) If I am in still water that is not too deep I also might try standing on my kayak, since it is a sit on top kayak and we already own it.  In addition to thanking you for the suggestion- I'd like to mention that this AN stuff is so pesky. I read that unfortunately you  had growth of your acoustic neuroma ( I think it may have been bigger than 1.5 cm?) after your proton therapy in 2003 ...and you had to have surgery (or as you say: "cut the little bugger out". That's too bad. What a shame.   :-[ My hubby's "little bugger" was 1.5 cm and we are all hoping that his will continue to stay the same size. He's had no side effects for a year and a half  after his 28 sessions of proton therapy at Mass Gen Hosp...(knock on wood)...but he does get tinnitus every so often and does get occasional hives in the spring. It seems a mystery why the outcomes were different, so far. This is perplexing for sure. Anyway, thanks for the tips and I'll let you know my progress with paddle boarding.
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.