Author Topic: How ANs Affect Our Lives....and how do we deal with it  (Read 2976 times)

NYLady

How ANs Affect Our Lives....and how do we deal with it
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:42:27 pm »
Hi Everyone....

One of our poster has brought up whcat I think is a very good point.  He felt that because it seemed there were so many positive posts, he felt his  recovery was not coming along as well as it should and he was beginning to lose hope.  If you agree with me that maybe it would be a good idea to just give a brief outline showing how long ago we were diagnosed, the treatment, or choice not to be treated, the after effects of the treatment and how far along the road to recovery we are, and just how it has  impacted our everyday lives, please join in.

I will start...

Diagnosed:  June 2013.  Second MRI in December showed marked growth.
Treatment:  July 2013, NYU
Side Effects:

NYLady

Re: How ANs Affect Our Lives....and how do we deal with it
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:16 pm »
Sorry about that...hit the wrong key
Side Effects:  Loss of hearing in AN ear, increased tinnitus (loud and more constant)  Balance issues  are much worse. 

Comment:  Only six months out...so hoping things will improve.  Holding on when I walk and tilting.  Struggling with speech recogntion which is getting worse in my good ear as well.  Hoping to be prescribed vestibular therapy when I see doctor.

feline

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »
Feline here I think that is a great idea
Diagnosed in April 2014 had translab sx on June 30, 2014, effects back to work with SSD, facial paralysis and left eye no blink so it has been sutured 1/2 closed all is going well except the above
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:30:49 am »
Hi All .....

How ANs affect our lives is extremely important.  Being given an AN was not a choice we made, it just grew there without our knowledge nor permission.  In how we deal with it, we have the opportunity to make some choices ..... for treatment or not, where for treatment, and how we handle the physical and emotional aspects of it ..... not always desirable choices, but nonetheless choices.

That being said, sometimes it helps us making our choices to see how others handle their particular situations ..... and everyone's situation is unique.

One of the ways on this forum, is the ability to put a brief, abbreviated "signature" underneath our posts so others know if their situation might be similar.  For those who are comfortable doing this, just go to your Profile, then Forum profile, then Custom Title, then Signature: and in 300 characters or less you can type in what you feel comfortable sharing about your own journey.  See mine below this post.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:20:19 pm »
And I have a link in my signature to a thread that tells the whole story of my history, treatment, and subsequent recovery.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0