Author Topic: Fitting for a head device  (Read 2464 times)

dominic12345

Fitting for a head device
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:58:10 pm »
I just got back from my fitting for my head device, am I missing something?  I've read recent stories about a head device using pins in your skull!

My device fitting was thermo plastic, and took about an hour.  Other that being held down for an hour (30 minutes for the device to cool and form the shape of my head), it was not a bad experience at all.  This was my second attempt, my first did not go so well, I remember getting very sick and then waking up with 10 Doctors and attendants hovering over me and asking me my name and if I knew where I was.  I had a seizure while on the table waiting for my head device to cool off.  It was totally my fault in the first place, I was so nervous about the procedure that I ran 10 miles just before I checked into the Doc's office and did not hydrate at all. 

Do they have different head devices in different areas of the country? 

john1455

Re: Fitting for a head device
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:28:53 am »
When you have CyberKnife, a thermoplastic head frame like what you had done is used and is totally non invasive. When you have Gamma Knife, a fixed frame is used that requires pins to be screwed partially into your skull to stabilize the head frame.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs