Author Topic: MRI hell  (Read 4720 times)

ChelseaR

MRI hell
« on: October 13, 2006, 08:41:18 pm »
I have a Polaris Shunt and they are not supposed to get knocked out of whack by an MRI, but mine did and I got a really bad headache and I was throwing up everywhere. I had to go BACK to the ER and was there for a good solid 9 hours. They took some Xrays and did a CAT Scan and found out it was indeed knocked out of whack. They fixed it by adjusting my shunt and gave me some anti-nausea and Dylated (spellcheck that) which helped ALOT with the pain. I got to go home around 9, but luckily we were staying at the Tiverton House right across the street so it wasn't a long trip. I took some Benedryl for these bumps that were on my chest and slept like a baby. I am doing MUCH better today after setting the shunt to the right setting. How is everyone else doing?
Diagnose in June 2006
6+ cm
20-25% still there
Removed after 2 surgeries
went to UCLA in California

tony

Re: MRI hell
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 02:04:27 am »
Ive never heard of shunt being dislodged quite so easily
- maybe it was a good thing it happened somewhere where they
knew how to fix it - can I suggest you dont go on any long
holidays, the desert, the widerness - for a year or so
just in case...
The record in UK is a fail at 10 hrs post-op
- which cant have been more than 5-6 hrs after the bloke woke up
Rest assured these are rare - a ten year service life is more typical
Hope things quieten down for you
Best regards
Tony

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:46:26 pm »
Okay, Chelsea....I'm getting really fed up that you keep having trouble!!   >:( >:(
This is so not all right!!  I mean, Thank Heavens you are okay, and Thank Heavens they could fix all this...but, mercy girl......we just want to hear that everything is going swimmingly from now on.  I hope you are keeping a journal.  You could write a book.  You and Chris.  Collalborate on a best seller. Summer of '06.  Thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Kindest regards,

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 05:56:46 pm »
Chelse,

I agree with Sue,  Far too much for a young one like you to go through. I am praying that all goes smoothly from her on out. Take Care.
Hugs.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:12:58 pm »
Hi Chelsea:

Sorry about the shunt problem and the discomfort you had because of it.  Glad you are back on track, now.

When will you begin your fractionalized radiation treatments?  I finished mine, yesterday (10/16) after 5 weeks that I thought would never end.  To get to wher the equipment was, my wife and I had to make a 62-mile round trip 5 days a week for 5 weeks and it got real old, even though the treatments were painless and only lasted 20 minutes!  I'm done, now and I was told that I did really well (no negative side-effects from the radiation).  I see the radiation oncologyst in a month, get a 'new' MRI in December and then, my surgeon and the radiation oncologyst will 'keep an eye on me' with bi-annual MRI's for five years or so.  I can do that.   

Take care of yourself.

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.