Author Topic: Single Sided Headphones/ear buds  (Read 16419 times)

ANGuy

Re: Single Sided Headphones/ear buds
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:06 pm »
That's great.  I was a little worried that maybe they were having production issues or something like that. 
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Loreley

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 07:16:19 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to all of this so have to ask a very newbie question.
I currently have CROSS aids but am seriously considering a BAHA.
I would have thought with the BAHA that you wouldn't need to have a single merged ear piece?
Obviously still grappling with lots and can't get my head around much of it at present so please excuse dumb questions.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 05:24:48 am »
Hi Loreley .....

The BAHA (either an Oticon Medical Ponto or Cochlear baha) is a bone-conducted hearing system.  It receives sound through the processor placed on your deaf side (through a bone-anchored abutment) and sends the sound via bone conduction to your hearing ear side.  Therefore, all sound is actually heard/perceived through one ear.  Both Oticon Medical and Cochlear have new models with bluetooth capabilities.  See:  http://www.oticonmedical.com/Medical/OurProducts/wireless/ponto-streamer.aspx#.VvfCURIrJmA  for the Ponto version.

If you want to use earbuds and you are totally deaf on one side, you would still need a single merged ear piece.

Hope that helps explain a bit.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

alabamajane

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 10:20:25 am »
Hi Loreley,
Clarice gave you a good explanation of the BAHA system,, but as you are so new to all of this and seem confused,, I though I would just add this. I don't mean to sound like I am talking "down" to you,, just trying to be helpful.

The BAHA , either brand, does not sit in your ear like a hearing aid. It sits on an abutment (little connecter)that is attached to a screw that is implanted into the skull right behind your deaf ear. The BAHA processor that you attach sends surrounding sound through the bone to your good ear to actually hear it. Your deaf ear does nothing.

So that is why they are asking about a single earbud.
I hope this helps a little. (I have the Cochlear brand). It is a hard concept to understand for all of us.

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Loreley

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 04:56:17 pm »
Aha ok that now makes sense, so many concepts to get my head around.
Thanks so much :)

Loreley

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 05:03:13 pm »
Have ordered a new pair of ear buds, so miss my music and meditations, playing them out loud just isn't the same.

Kristena

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 07:55:18 am »
I really enjoy my SSD earbud, and I've recommended it to several people. So nice to have that full sound when I'm out walking the dog. And my Baha can still pick up sounds of traffic, etc., so it's actually safer than those with two earbuds!   :)
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Smedina

• I amaze myself...
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 11:07:31 am »
I don't know whether this has been covered before, but with the various "i" products, it's possible to enable "Mono" audio in the settings, basically turning off the stereo sound and reviving all of those headphones. You can find this in Settings--> General-->  Accessibility--> scroll down to Hearing.

I'm sure the Android world has something similar, also.

I recently ordered a Bluetooth ear bud on Amazon,(E.g. Axgio Mini Pro). The prices have come down a lot,  and I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance. It's nice not to have to deal with any wires.
Dx 10/20/2011- 4.5cm
Retrosigmoid- Weill Cornell- 11/15/2011- hypervascular tumor
Translab- 11/30/2011
Multiple complications- CSF leak, DVT, cerebellar injury
Facial paralysis- 12-7 Nerve transfer 3/12
SSD—BAHA- 2/14
Ongoing reconstruction & rehab

DaisyJane

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 12:23:16 pm »
Ultimate Ears makes a custom-molded single-sided ear piece. Ultimate Ears is a company that has made professional in-ear monitors for touring musicians. I have used their products for over a decade both in a performance setting and as my regular headphones, and I am so grateful they make a custom SS earpiece (with cable). http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-monitors/ue-1-pro