Author Topic: Okay scared too.  (Read 2199 times)

darkorchid12

Okay scared too.
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:27:42 am »
I am just one week since finding out about my having an AN. I have done loads of reading.  I am more scared of the radiation than surgery.  My main reason for posting is to get some feedback about orthscopic surgery.  One dr. offers this procedure that I have found.  If the tumor is not too large, ( my seems relatively small at 15 x 10 x9) he says he can remove all of tumor without a large surgical site or long recovery.  Anyone out there have experiences with this type of treatment? 

I will add it is heartening to find there is a group who provide insight into this situation
15 mm x 10 mm x9 mm 12/18/14
Working on possible CyberKnife @ Stanford
Diagnosed on incidental finding.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Okay scared too.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:45:49 am »
Hi debbisholes and welcome to this forum .....

Yes, hearing the diagnosis of having an acoustic neuroma is very scary for most of us.

It is good that you have done loads of reading.  Just make certain it is from reliable, medically sound websites.

As for your question about minimally invasive surgery, you need to look carefully at the track records of surgeons who do this.  The biggest problem with a tiny entry point is the inability to quickly stop any bleeding/swelling that might occur when the surgeon is within the confines of your skull.  Just do your homework on it.

I have had three traditional skull surgeries and the longest recovery I had for any of them was two weeks (until I was able to fully care for myself) ..... but I chose my surgeons very wisely after much research and multiple opinions.  But that was just me.

Many thoughts and prayers during this decision-making process!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011