Author Topic: Disability Denied  (Read 5537 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Disability Denied
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:49:09 pm »
Well, just like many others I received my denial letter for disability.  They did state that they understand I have limitations that mean I can't resume operating my bakery, but I have the abilities to do retail work, such as I did five years ago for a year while recovering from a different surgery.  However, there are two problems with that:  1, I can't stand-up for eight hours a day; and 2, I live in a very small town of 800 and we're lucky to have a tiny grocery store let alone a retail shop.  The nearest town with commerce is 125 miles away.

I've been working since the age of 13, and I've never collected assistance.  I thought things like disability benefits were there when you needed them, but I guess that's not reality.

It's really too bad because I was just coming to grips about accepting I can't handle my bakery this season (March - November).  In fact, while making some things for dinner last night I remarked to myself how ridiculously dizzy I get just baking squash and potatoes.  I thought, "Okay, this is ridiculous.  You need to accept getting disability and concentrating on going to Salt Lake City (6-hours each way) to get the vestibular therapies I need to get pass this point of my recovery."

Now I feel defeated.  I don't know how I'm going to be able to make trips to SLC without a little more money coming in.  My husband is almost 70 and works part-time, fortunately at a job he loves.

In a town with so few opportunities, there is a part-time job at our little Post Office and a part-time job as a Victim's Assistant.  I didn't know we had crime in town, so I don't know how many hours a victim's assistant would require, but I'd probably have to be able to drive 75-miles to the county seat, and I can't handle that type of driving.  I honestly don't think I can handle any of these jobs, but I have to do something.

I don't want to let this defeatist attitude get me down, but I think I'm going to allow myself to be worried today, and in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day!"  I plan on getting back to my normal attitude, if not my normal physical state.

I know in my gut that I need PT and OT to get better.  My daily walks and mental activities are not doing enough for me.  I don't understand why some therapies can't be done with Skype--it's technology that can be used today, so why not us it?

Thank you for letting me feel bad here.  I'm an example of not getting post-op therapies, so schedule those appointments right away.

I am excited that I'm scheduled to get my eyelid weight and lower lid stitch on February ninth.  That will be a step in the right direction. 
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Disability Denied
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:06:30 pm »
Hi Mimispree .....

Unfortunately, I think it is rather standard these days to receive a denial letter on the first application for disability ..... just as insurance is often denied when trying to go out of network for treatment.  It is all a planned presumption that many people will just give up with a denial of coverage.

Please do not give up, even though I know it seems overwhelming at the moment.  Hopefully some forum members will give you some advice on how to bypass some of the red tape and speed up appeal the process.  I did not need to apply for disability so I have no personal words of advice to give you.

Hang in there .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Re: Disability Denied
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:49:17 pm »
Dear Clarice:

Thank you once again for word on encouragement.

I did contact a lawyer today and have an appointment to do my appeal later this month.  It's a shame that this is the way things have to be done.

Thank you again,
Michelle
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.