Author Topic: Getting Cochlear BAHA 4 tomorrow!!  (Read 5370 times)

alabamajane

Getting Cochlear BAHA 4 tomorrow!!
« on: December 29, 2014, 04:53:52 pm »
Well my day is almost here! I had my post implanted on Halloween and so ready to get activated tomorrow. Excited and nervous and hoping I learn to like it as much as some have posted. I have been SSD for three years now and have adjusted pretty well but decided I was ready to hear better again. Will let y'all know how it goes! Happy New Year to all and those early in the journey,,, hang in there,,, life does get better!    ;)  Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

mac84

Re: Getting Cochlear BAHA 4 tomorrow!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:17:23 am »
Good luck Jane!  Hope all goes well!
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:17 pm »
Thanks! Got it and now trying to adjust...it's going to take some time to get used to the new "noises" on that side. I'm hoping when I get used to it that I will enjoy it as much as others say they do.
Happy New Year and best wishes to you along your journey! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:19:55 am »
Congratulations. I have had a Baha for 4 years. It takse time to have your brain adjust to the processor. In December I upgreded from a Baha 3 to a baha 4. What a differance.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:29:24 pm »
Thanks Keith,
I am wearing it every day trying to get used to it.
I am also going to make an appointment with a new audiologist to see if she can help me understand the thing better. I don't think I got started on a " good foot" with initial audiologist,, not much explanation given except how to take care of it.. It's not even programmed for any programs using that middle button.. I just put battery in it and go...I just think there must be more to it than I'm getting,,,

But I'm hanging in there and using it!! I got activated Dec 30 and was told to come back in 6 months,,,,so am changing audiologist,,,  ::) good luck with yours.. Sounds like you are used to one though!

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:04:53 am »
Hang in there! I did not like my first audiologist. She must have been having a bad day when she set up my BAHA. We never talked about the channels and how and when to use them. I followed the manual and the different channels never much of a difference.

I called a new audiologist and she called the Cochlear rep and both of them met with me. I got a full run down on the operation of the BAHA, a new hearing test, and they reprogrammed my unit...no charge.

Cochlear has a concierge service that can help you. E mail is Concierge@Cochlear.com or you can call 1-800-483-3123.

It also takes a little time for your brain to get used to hearing through a BAHA so give it some time.

James

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:22:50 pm »
Thanks James,
I do have a concierge who has been very helpful and actually gave the name of this new audiologist.

I do like it and realize I just have to have patience and let me and the brain  :P get used to it and new hearing... It is a little better every day.. Seems I would have learned to have patience by now  ::),, as hard as the AN journey is!!!

Will let y'all know how it goes after I see her..
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011