Author Topic: I made it!  (Read 16672 times)

brianharte

I made it!
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:02:39 am »
I am recovering now.  Trying my best.  1pm until 11:30 on the 10th dr cueva and mastrodimas removed my left 5 cm an via translab.  I am down here in San Diego at a hotel sitting around while wife gets some needed rest. They let me leave the hospital on the 12th in the afternoon.  Feeling pretty blessed but sleep is hard to find.   I can almost never sleep on my back.   On my iPhone now so writing this is tough.

ANGuy

Re: I made it!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:10:59 am »
Thanks for the update and I am glad you are doing so well!
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

suethompson

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 05:03:29 pm »
YEA Brain - keep your recovery going strong! 5 cm is a whopper, my 16 year old niece goes in Tuesday for a 4'5 cm and it is encouraging to hear an update from someone that just had a large AN removed. Take good care of yourself.  Sue

trishy222

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:38:55 am »
Congrats and I pray that blessings continue to come your way!

brianharte

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:31:22 pm »
Thanks all. We are home now, came back yesterday. I feel like I'm doing really well so far. Went out to the store today to get some comfortable clothes, went on a walk around the neighborhood, just took a shower. Waiting for my doc. to call me back to see if he has any advice on trying to find sleep. It's getting annoying around for hours trying to fall asleep. I need a better way.
Any advice?

jdamiano

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:07:48 pm »
I am using a neck travel pillow and that seems to help with sleeping. 

bjkivel

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:33:40 am »
The neck pillow worked wonders for my sleep. 
Right side retrosigmoid craniotomy
4.8 cm AN removed
Right side mastoidectomy / repair CSF leak
complete hearing loss right side

age = 41

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:54:04 am »
I sent you a PM.   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

G8trdude

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 11:32:33 am »
I had essentially no quality sleep the week following surgery, and blame it primarily on the dexamethasone steroid I was on to manage swelling.  It took me forever to fall asleep (even though I was exhausted), and then I'd only sleep in fits.  Then I'd end up napping a few times over the following day...  My DR prescribed me sleeping pills to take at night, which I (foolishly?) did not use, thinking I'd rather tough it out than subject my poor abused body to more chemicals...

Anyway, when I finished the ~week-long steroid course, within a few days - I was sleeping much better.  Now (2 months post surgery), I have no problems at all sleeping.

The first ~two weeks post surgery are rough on a number of fronts!  Assuming your DR agrees... eat healthy, drink lots of liquids, do your vestibular exercises as prescribed, walk regularly, and nap at all other times  :)

And hang in there, you should (will!) feel better each day and before you know it this should all be a distant memory!
Diagnosed: June 2014 MRI, 2.3 cm AN right side
Symptoms: faint tinnitus, minimal hearing loss, slight balance issues, faint lip numbness
Status:Oct 2 2014 translab by Slattery & Schwarz at House = SSD. NO facial problems. NO pain/headaches.  Minimal balance issues.  Back to life!

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 02:54:12 pm »
I'm so happy the operation is over and you're home!  Yay!

Mimi
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

brianharte

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:48:10 am »
Cheryl I don't see a PM.    got 3 hours lat night with a prescription sleep pill.  I am utterly exhausted

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 10:55:53 am »
Sorry. I sent this post to the wrong person.    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

brianharte

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:39:40 pm »
Thanks all.  Got some sleep last night.  Today I think is actually the first time I feel like I have my own brain in my head. Feeling positive right now!

feline

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 04:08:39 pm »
Glad to hear ur improving continue on and come back to the forum with updates please
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

brianharte

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 11:01:04 am »
11 days post-op. Things are going well. Still looking to get my sleep cycle back in order. I am getting 5 to 6 hours sleep per night. I'm sure I'll get better little by little. I have my post-op upcoming on Tuesday. Hope the team is happy with my progress.

I have a feeling that my hospital stay is the reason my sleeping got thrown out of wack. Seemed like everytime I started falling asleep in the hospital, some kind of alarm would go off here or there or the doctors had to come check me out for some reason. My body never got the chance to fall asleep due to the stress.

I find that getting used to the quietness of the world is a little harder than I expected. Things just seem too quiet sometimes. I also find that the sound of a running shower is not what I remember it as. So strange to get used to.

Anyway, I'm hoping this upcoming week is very successful!