Author Topic: Facial numbness and ear hurting  (Read 3014 times)

jdamiano

Facial numbness and ear hurting
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:17:44 pm »
All:

Can you please tell me how bad your facial numbness was before surgery and if it went away after you had surgery?  I feel like my symptoms just continue to get worse and worse.  My eye is hurting today, my cheek is numb, my lips and tongue are numb on my right side.  This just feels so strange to me and I cannot stand these symptoms.  My ear has been hurting me as well and now I have short pains in my head.  I know my surgery is in a little over a week, but I cannot take this. 

My biggest question is - will the numbness subside after surgery AND will my face be paralyzed as a result of weeks of numbness.  I really appreciate any input as I feel alone - my husband, parents and friends have no clue how I feel.  I've talked to my doctor's resident 2 Fridays in a row and will probably call tomorrow.  The last time I spoke with him he said the numbness was not life threatening - I'd have to be throwing up from headaches and not able to get up from a laying down position to be in serious trouble so I'm trying to be patient.

Thank you,

jdamiano

LakeErie

Re: Facial numbness and ear hurting
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:04:15 am »
I had considerable numbness around and in my mouth on the AN side of my face, including my tongue. There was no initial improvement following my surgery and it finally started to normalize at about 2 years. At 3 years plus now, it is even better. I do wonder though if it has improved so much or I have just become accustomed to it, and realize it may be a combination of both factors.
While not a doctor, I don't believe the numbness pre-surgery means facial paralysis  post-surgery. Numbness and tingling are common symptoms of AN's and many people regain more normal sensation in their faces with time. Just remember that whatever complications you may experience from the surgery, if any, most of them are temporary and will get better. Those that do not improve are often treatable and we learn with time to adjust to and compensate for them. People are more resilient than they at first credit themselves. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

opp2

Re: Facial numbness and ear hurting
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:21 pm »
oh my gosh! I hope your surgery went well. I had significant facial numbness and funky headaches prior to my surgery, but afterward the majority of my symptoms disappeared. They all disappeared within a month afterward. I haven't had any trouble since, except of course I'm stone deaf on the affected side.

We'll be thinking of you,
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.