Author Topic: Time to make a decision  (Read 2997 times)

cont1592

Time to make a decision
« on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:55 am »
My 8 month MRI shows an increase from 14 mm to 16.6 mm.  So now it is time to make a decision between microsurgery and radiosurgery.  I have appointments scheduled with the two doctors I have been seeing (both of whom have excellent reputations).  One is recommending micro and the other radio.  I have also developed a relationship with the House Clinic as a third consult.  Their opinion is I could go either way and to go with my gut feeling.  My first gut tells me not to take the easy way out and do the microsurgery.  My other gut feeling tells me to move forward with the more modern approach of radiosurgery.  I have researched this condition to the point where I am an expert but I still cannot make a decision.  The decision as which route to take is the most stressful part of this entire journey. ???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:30:12 pm by cont1592 »

ANGuy

Re: Time to make a decision
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 02:49:11 pm »
How old are you?
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

cont1592

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:19 am »
I am 52.

I just found out that my doctor who was promoting microsurgery has reversed his recommendation.  Due to the location of my AN (very close to the cochlear) microsurgery would guarantee the loss of hearing.  So now he is recommending radiosurgery since it will not be as invasive.

It may sound funny but I guess I feel a sense of relief that I've been forced into a decision.

Thanks for listening.  Rick

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:53:44 pm »
You are in a very similar situation as me.  With our age, and size of our AN, we can choose any of the 3 options and not be "crazy" for doing so.  It's frustrating because there is no clear choice, but the reason the choice isn't clear is because we have 3 good choices.

Right now I am continuing observation.  I had my 6 month MRI and it showed no growth, so I will have my next one in a year.  In the event that I end up needing treatment, my mind (for now) is made up and I would do surgery.  I think the older you get, the more appropriate radiation is.  But, according to my Dr, 47 is still "young".  52 is young too (congratulations ;D)

Anyway, I am not trying to say what you should do, just explaining what I am doing, and giving my opinion that I think you are on the right track to be considering all the options as they are all viable for you.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.