Author Topic: Dx 9/26/14, questions on traveling to remove AN  (Read 3047 times)

KSlivin

Dx 9/26/14, questions on traveling to remove AN
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:33:08 pm »
Hello, I was dx with an AN two days ago and have since been researching what to do.  I'm a 36 year old and the AN is 2.6-3 cm.  Considering my age and size of tumor my ENT suggested removal.  I haven't found anyone in Kansas that looks like they have extensive experience with AN removal so I am looking out of town now.   My questions is traveling some place for the surgery. 
     -I'm guessing depending on how the surgery goes dictates modes of travel and timing.(length of stay etc..)
     -Can you fly after brain surgery?

Any passed experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

KSlivin

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Dx 9/26/14, questions on traveling to remove AN
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:17:00 pm »
Hi KSlivin and welcome to this forum of caring, supportive new friends .....

To answer your question, many of us traveled great distances for the best care of our acoustic neuromas.

My first surgery was done about a five-hour drive from my home so my husband drove us home about a week after surgery.  With his help I had no difficulty but I would not have wanted to go anywhere alone.

My second surgery was done clear across the United States from where I live so it was necessary to fly for it.  My husband and I flew home 10 days post-op with no trouble on my part.

As far as I know, unless you have a complication (which is rare if you go to experienced physicians), there is no contraindication to flying post-op.  Most doctors want you to wait a full week post-op before flying, but that is mainly to make sure your recovery is going normally.

When I was at House in LA, there were acoustic neuroma patients there from all over the world.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

KSlivin

Re: Dx 9/26/14, questions on traveling to remove AN
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:21:23 pm »
Thank You CHD63