Author Topic: I'm getting dumber every day!  (Read 18352 times)

Sefra22

I'm getting dumber every day!
« on: October 09, 2006, 05:59:44 am »
I have noticed lately that I can't remember things as well as I once did. I have trouble with words that I use infrequently, and I speak slower to give my brain more time to catch up to my thoughts. I also notice that it takes me longer to process information. For example, I was playing Monopoly last week, and had to stare at the dice to count the dots before I could get the total. Last week I had to send an e-mail to someone and couldn't remember how to spell "assessment", "Wednesday" or "outlining". This bugs me, because I have always prided myself on being an excellant speller. The most upsetting thing was last night, when I woke up at 2:00 am, to find I had left the oven on from dinner! I am still pre-op, and am wondering if this is a symptom of the condition, or is it just from the stress of it all? I am having follow ups with both my ENT and Neurosurgeon next week. Should I ask them about this, or will they think I'm crazy?
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Patti

Re: I'm getting dumber every day!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 06:37:06 am »
I'm sure some or most of that is pre-occupation with the AN, but some is real.  One of the most forgetful things I did before I knew anything was forget to pick up my friend's 10 year old from soccer when she asked me 20 minutes before.  I felt so bad!  I too was getting dumber!  My job was that of a 7th grade science teacher and I was having a hard time but blaming it on being a working mom.  Now, 6 years later, I am the same age as you.  It has been tested that I do have cognitive problems and I get disability.  But life is good!!!!!!!!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 12:02:32 pm »
This site was recently posted on here. It has a report on cognitive problems with vestibular patients. 

http://www.backgroundfacts.com/menieres/COGDIS.htm

It starts off like this.  You might find this interesting reading.

COGNITIVE DISTURBANCES

What is meant by cognitive disturbances?

Cognitive disturbances involve a difficulty in basic mental operations such as memory, paying attention or focusing attention on something, and in prolonged concentration. They also involve shifting attention from one subject or idea to another.  People with cognitive disturbances have trouble in perceiving accurate spatial relationships between objects, in comprehending or expressing language, and performing calculations, and in a number of other areas.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 04:06:38 pm »
Thanks for the link. It was interesting, informative and scary. I wonder, though, am I considered a patient with a "vestibular disorder"?
I don't have any balance issues, or any dizziness. Does that matter?
Diagnosed June 2006

red

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:22:43 pm »
Definately ask your doctor about this.  My husband would tell me he had trouble remembering things or couldn't find a word for a certain situation.  He didn't want to ask this question b/c he felt stupid if it was not related.   So I asked! This doctor said that it DEFINETLY WAS RELATED becasue his brain was using so much energy to stay balanced that it was taking away from other cognitive funtioning.  Red

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 04:58:46 pm »
I didn't and do not currently have memory, cognitive or focus problems but I believe that pre-op stress could very well be a factor here.  I had digestive problems pre-op - which miraculously disappeared following my surgery.  My gastroenterologist attributted it to stress.  He gave me a prescription but I never filled it as it was not needed.   I did feel a bit mentally sluggish when I came hom from the hospital but I attributed it to the drugs still in my system.  Then and now, I read a lot, watch some TV and post messages on the internet almost every day.  I believe mental exercise is very beneficial.  I suggest you consider it. 

Of course you want to mention these cognitive problems to your doctor but until he removes the tumor, neither he, you or any of of us can really know whether your tumor is causing any of your cognitive problems.  It very well may be.  According Doctor Erickson, quoted on the link Sue posted, it seems as if it is.  I'm not so sure - but what do I know?  I'm not a physician or scientist, only an older  guy who had a big fat 'Acoustic Neuroma' tumor removed 13 weeks ago - and is doing fine, thanks.  I never experienced any memory or cognitive 'issues' pre or post-op....but that's just me (and 'proves' nothing).  The tumor is on the brain, not in it but as the linked speech stated, doctors have found cognitive/memory problems in patients with vestibular 'disorders', which could include AN patients.  One hopes you are not one of them.  :)
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lmurray69

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 06:16:31 pm »
  I too have memory problems and cant remember what i did today. sometimes I forget and leave the stove on too. burn things. I put potatos on a boiled them dry. sence then my husband reminds me did you check on dinner.. I go to the store and dont have any idea why i went..Its terrible..I use Capt Deb's Idea about wooblyhead and it helps pen and paper in hand we write notes all over ..Just to keep me straight...I have surgery the 10/1/06...hope it goes away
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

ratthebrat

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 08:41:27 pm »
I can say that i have difficulty remembering this prior to my surgery. I still have forgetfulness and i am finishing college and i have notice things come to me harder than other students. But i continue to go over things 4-5 times before it sinks in. I do find that slowly things do come back to me. I don't know if i will ever fully beable to remember things like i used to.

I also do make little notes to remind myself so i don't forget. Or i tell my loved ones to remind me again when it gets closer.

I hope this helps you to know you are not alone. Just remember that each person finds something that works for them.

rat

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 08:57:41 pm »
I also wondered if an AN qualified as a "vestibular disorder". If you google that phrase you will find a list of disorders and there is acoustic neuroma. This is what I found:

Vestibular (inner ear) disorders can cause dizziness, vertigo, imbalance, hearing changes, nausea, fatigue, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and other symptoms, with potentially devastating effects on a person's day-to-day functioning, ability to work, relationships with family and friends, and quality of life.

Diagnosing and treating vestibular disorders is not always straightforward. In addition, such disorders are often "invisible," making it difficult for others to understand how disabling they can be.
Specific Vestibular Disorders

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)

Meniere's Disease

Secondary Endolymphatic Hydrops

Labyrinthitis & Vestibular Neuritis

Perilymph Fistula

Acoustic Neuroma

Ototoxicity

Vestibular Migraine

Mal de Debarquement

Pediatric Vestibular Disorders

Aging, Dizziness, & Balance

Cervicogenic Dizziness

Otosclerosis

Cholesteatoma

Enlarged Vestibular Aqueduct

Vestibular Hyperacusis

Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease

Superior Canal Dehiscence

So, there we are!

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tcrnko

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 06:59:48 am »
Thought it ws just me!

During the last year I actually started to become worried that I was begining to have alzheimers.  It seemed that it took me forever to catch on to things that I used to get quickly. 

My AN, diagnosed late august could be the cause.  I haven't left the stove on or the car running or forgotten any chidren, but that probably because if cook infrequently, am meticulous about my cars and where they are, and am the father of 4 adult men, the youngest being 20.

What I have noticed is that I don't think as fast in a pinch.  I am an Emergency Room Assistant Administrator and Nurse.  When I am doing administration, this is not a problem.  I have an office and a computer and time to think through any issues that come my way.  My biggest problem there is staying focused for issue resolution or task completion.  But I still do clinical work part time.  I used to be a really sharp, go-to type of resource for other staff.  Now I have trouble thinking quickly.  Not to the point of endangering anyone, but the answers don't come out as fast or as clear as they used too.  Thank God for the PDA.

At least the people I work with are empathetic if not sympathetic to my condition.  As nurses and doctors, they want to take care of me.  I have to keep telling them I'm ok as I work and remind them that when I'm not ok, they will be told.  I read that many on this forum have not had that type of support in the workplace.  I guess there are both pros and cons to being a nurse.
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego

Sefra22

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 05:55:51 am »
Hi tcrnko,
Looks like we have more than forgetfulness in common. We are both scheduled for surgery in Jan with the same procedure.
I don't work in an ER, but I am a store manager, so I know what it's like to deal with the public, and the "unexpected" daily. The hearing loss certainly doesn't help, either.
It is only a week before I see my doctors again, so hopefully, they can give me some peace of mind. I hope it gets better after treatment.
You are lucky to have such supportive co-workers. I was talking to my assisstant about this yesterday, who thought he was helping by saying, "Maybe it's just OLD AGE!" Yeah, THAT makes me feel better! >:(
Diagnosed June 2006

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 06:07:57 am »
I thought I was going crazy before surgery. It was one of the things that sent me to the doc. It took awhile but has mostly cleared up since surgery. Word recall can still be tough sometimes.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 06:26:25 pm »
I too suffer this difficulty...it's funny that I can function so well in my profession though and it isn't such an issue there, I can't understand that.....only other thing I have to say is "DUH!"
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 10:00:21 pm »
 ??? Yes I agree I had surgery (2)  in the end of July and one in August, and Im still not back to normal or work. I thought it woulld all be good in a couple weeks. Im starting to feel dingy, Im kind of worried. :-\
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,