Author Topic: Personality Changes  (Read 9655 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Personality Changes
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 12:07:37 pm »
Brendalu-Oh yeah, the swashbuckler in me is way more fun--gotta just channel your inner pirate--the ballsey broad who don't take no crap and never, ever feels sorry for herself!!!!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 05:32:22 am »
hi guys - mood changes, yes.   I find myself getting tearful when I talk to someone about the surgery.   It really bothers me because I've always been a strong, independent person, and hearing my voice start to crack & my eye fill up with tears, jeez.....  (it doesn't help being in perimenapause either!!!!!!!!!).  Been 4 months since 2cm. tumor removed SO, with subsequent facial paralysis, total hearing loss right side, etc, etc.  I hope there comes a time soon when I won't have this emotional edge going on.   At least I know I'm not alone.   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 06:38:12 am »
Hi Nancy.   4 mionths really isn't very long to be adjusted to the changes that come from having AN surgery.    My first surgery was soon to be 5 years ago and I felt like it took a year to recover physically and another one emotionally so hang in there.      Plus I had a good recovery compared to some.   One adjusts in time to the new you and it does get better.                       I had surgery again this spring for a facial neuroma and the nerve was severed this time and a nerve from my neck put in so am living with the paralysis again so know it's not fun.              I have been very lucky that I do not have facial numbness though.         I do have it around my ear since the nerve was removed for the graft below my ear and it does feel weird.
I was found to be NF2 so who knows what lies ahead.                           Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 07:26:31 am »
Hi Cheryl - thanks for the support.   This forum is great, I was so lost before getting a computer in August (had surg. 6/06), felt so alone.   Since hooking up here, I can't believe how many people go thru this.   Last week at work I ran into a dr. I hadn't seen for awhile, she was surprised to see me with right sided facial paralysis, when I told her it was an AN, she said 2 of her pt's recently were diagnosed with the same.   I was glad to be able to tell her about the forum.    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 08:58:58 pm »
I think that the surgery does change your personality somewhat, but I also think that you can be whoever you want to be.  My stroke (on 9/30/08) was probably the best think to happen to me.  I quit feeling sorry for myself and got back to loving life and enjoying each moment.  I don't look at what I can't do any more, I look at what I am doing and doing well.  I don't get up in the morning thinking about what I can put off until tomorrow.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 02:20:25 pm »
Good question.  I am convinced that you can't go through a life-changing experience without changing.  I feel "different" than I was before and I've asked the people close to me what they think. My husband and dear friend think I have lost my tolerance/patience for ignorance and stupidity and am more likely to be direct.  I thought I was direct before!  My boss says it seems as if I have more wisdom.  Is that a euphemism for old??? :D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 03:50:41 pm »
My boss says it seems as if I have more wisdom.  Is that a euphemism for old???  :D

Nah!  I get that a lot and I'm not old (if compared to Methuselah).  :D

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

konnie

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 03:29:16 pm »
Im glade it's just not me....
 After my surgery I have gone from anxiey, to deppression, to anger. and back...

aftet 4 months of recovery i can honstly say I'm much better.  its like the dark cloud has lifted or i finally realized how fortunate i am to be alive.  i count my blessings every day. and don't sweat the small stuff...

MY older sister doesn't understand the change in me and how relaxed i have become.
She came over the other day just to yell at me for not calling her back write away. she thought i was avoiding her...
I told her that i was still recovering from surgry and get very tired and sometimes need to take naps.

sometimes people forget that i had brain surgery 4 mounths ago because i look so good... and you can't tell...
so she is nagging me like older sisters sometimes can and trying to get me all worked up for no reason at all...
 I found out that i too lost my tolerancs for foolishness behavior. it is such a waist of time.
 she got no reaction from me ..
this confused her becasue we would usually have a big disagreement and one of us would storm off.

I just told her that i was given another chance at life and i am gonna seize evey moment.............look at it and really see it........
live it..... and never give in to negativity .... ( well its a try anyway.)
konnie
AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

wendysig

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 09:39:03 am »
Konnie,

I feel very much the same as you, I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.  When upsetting things happen I look at them in a new way and then decide whether they are worth ruining my mood or day.  I have become more tolerant and usually more patient, although I sometimes have to take a deep breath and count to 10.  I am more thankful for the little things in life and count my blessings on a regular basis.  I don't avoid reality but do embrace more  of the things in life that make me happy and look more for reasons to be happy.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!