Author Topic: Hair shaved????  (Read 12537 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Re: Hair shaved????
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 07:01:12 am »
They used the retrosigmoid approach on me too. I had surgery done in 2 stages, using the same incision so maybe that's why mine looks so ridiculously HUGE

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 08:06:43 am »
You know, now I'm really curious....Scottie and Stien...what approach did you have?  Geez, even Kathy and Katie look so far away from the back of the ear...my scar doesn't go more than 1" from the backside of my ear, it's very snug with it.  But yours don't look low enough for retrosig either....sorry, I didn't take photos.  But it basically follows the outline of my ear if you pressed it against my head. 

I think exactly where the scar is has to do with the exact shape and contours of your individual skull and exactly how your inner ear fits into it all.  I know my eustachian tubes have always gone at a somewhat different angle than most, so maybe that affects where the incision was done.  ???

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

suelay

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 11:55:46 am »
mine was retrosigmoid and looks a lot like Muscottie's and Stein's--even a little lower--i think you are right re individual anatomy makes a difference too.  I left my hair long so I can easily cover it.  I still have my staples so I am looking for a partial plastic hatchet to have some fun with before it doesn't look so cool. 
L AN 16 x8 x8 mm
Retrosigmoid at Mayo Clinic Drs. Link and Driscoll on 9/25/06
Very good result

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 12:16:25 pm »
Interesting....makes me wish I would have gotten a photo of it.  I was just so grumpy and humorless at the time, and no one suggested doing it anyway.  Something we can all do in Philly.....compare scars! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

vcschaub

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 01:47:27 pm »
This is my middle fossa scar, 3 days after surgery.

6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear