Author Topic: 4cm. cerebellopointe angle w/ acoustic neuronoma ?????  (Read 9968 times)

karen52

Re: 4cm. cerebellopointe angle w/ acoustic neuronoma ?????
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 11:31:40 pm »
the doctor patched the leak  2 days ago using tissue from the leg somewhere,  and at that time,  inserted a tube that drains from her lower spin.  Tonight the dr. said that he may have to go back now and put in a shunt.  She asked why he didn't do it during the surgury>.  He said that her ventricles were too streatched.  What would that have to do with her question?  Any ides from ya'll on that?  .

Kathie said that the tumor was 2 1/2 inches- extending down to the neck/skull joining.  What was the "4",  the degree, or stage or perhaps 4cm wide and 2 1/2" long, she doesn't know? 

Kathie also related tonight that the doctor said that it had been there about 2 years.  My question it causing pressure for that long or did it begin its'  growth  2 years ago?  Im enclined to think pressure, but the cell pathology might have concluded that it was a fast grower?  That too, I would think, would indicate another concern.

How much sense does this all make based on what you understand. I know that we are not doctors; we are  just folks sharing experiences.

I'll soon, hopefully, obtain the med reports, and will be able to ask fewer questions.?

Thanks for being there, karen52
mera30120@hotmail.com

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 06:31:32 am »
Karen52,

This sounds so much more than an Acoustic Neuroma (Vestibular Schwannoma).   I would suggest that you also visit this Yahoo group:    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/brain_tumor/
Here is a discription of this site:  "This is an open forum support eGroup for persons affected by "Brain Tumors." This support eGroup has been established for patients, family members, medical professionals and rare disease researchers interested in sharing information and/or support for affected persons."

Maybe they can help to shed some light on your sisters tumor. 

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

karen52

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 07:40:51 am »
sounds like it to me too! 

I know this sounds crazy as all get out, but Kathie sticks by the info I got the night before her surgery, and that is that it was 2".  Until I read it or hear it from the doctor himself, it's up for grabs with me, but this has been quite an incrediable hourney for a plain AN.

Kat has been home for about 1 1/2 weeks now, but may have to go back in for a shunt.  IWhat are the downsides to a shunt?

Would it have been too incrediable to have the shunt placed at the same time the patch was done?   Since the patch though, she has felt,  for the first time post op,  human.  So, I believe that she probably  had a cfs all along.

Thanks for the sight info.

By the by, my hearing has been going for awhile now.    I thought to cover one ear and then the other to see if  when I spoke perhaps I could tell  any difference.  There is like base only in the left ear and seemingly like high notes-no base in the right ear.  Guess I'm kinda paranoid, but eventually, I'll let ya know.  As I stated earlier, as of this past April or may, I have no insurance

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 05:43:17 am »
A couple of quick hearing checks (what I do myself), is to do simple things....rub your fingers together softly (the same in front of each ear).  Use a tuning fork (I play the guitar), and see if you can hear it after striking it about 6" from your ear.  When using the phone dial the same number using each ear and see if it sounds the same.  But, if you have concerns...you may want to go for a hearing test just to put yourself at ease...

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!