Author Topic: BAHA vs PONTO  (Read 42296 times)

alabamajane

Re: BAHA vs PONTO
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 04:55:26 pm »
Sorry for your problems,,
Didn’t your audiologist have the processor customized for you ? When I received my processor, the audiologist ran a program on the computer to adjust the settings etc just for me,,,,

But if you don’t have an audiologist for some reason,  I suggest you find one with experience with the BAHA,, not all audiologists are familiar with them,, ,, but even before that,, take it to the doctor who did the implant and have him show you how to snap it on,,
I think you need someone to help you get acquainted with your BAHA.

Goood luck ,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Kjayhill

• AN Warrior since March 28, 2017
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 07:01:55 am »
I went with the PONTO over the Cochlear mainly due to the MIPS.  The surgery was a breeze and I had no issues.  I was not ready to get cut into so the thought of the minimally invasive procedure helped.  Also, the PONTO seemed to work well and clear for me during the headband test.   I had the surgery in August and received the PONTO in November.  It took a few times going back to the Audiologist to have it adjusted to get it to a point that I am very happy with it.  She has done two programs and I use the 2nd one in noisy restaurants.  I also received the microphone and TV adapter and stream everything to it.  I love answering the phone and playing music thru the streamer too.
I hear very clear and do better with the device although of course it will never be like perfect hearing.  It has helped a lot as I can hear people on the bad side.  Sometimes I still am not sure which direction but most of the time I do realize it.
Good luck in your decision!
Kind Regards,
Kathy

AN Warrior since March 28, 2017
(Middle Fossa)
PONTO BAHA since November, 2017

Abetpds

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 09:11:43 pm »
Hi I'm having surgery done on the 26th at UCSD and wanted the Oticon implant but when I met with my audiologist in GA she recommended the Cochlear BAHA 5  Said that it can be connected to my phone via blue tooth for volume control unlike the Oticon which needed something hung around your neck  Felt that the Baha 5 is a slick design and not as large as the Oticon processor. I do not have time to test so just going with what inputs I get.  She sent the order in for the Baha but it will not be ordered until next week .Thos of you have the BAHA -would really appreciate your inputs as to issues you've had   Thanks so much
Regina

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 05:19:13 am »
Hi Regina .....

Choosing between two options for bone conduction hearing assistance is a big deal because you cannot change to the other processor later.

Admittedly, I have not actually seen the new Baha 5 processor, which is much smaller than the previous models, but my Ponto is very small.  If it was any smaller, my arthritic fingers would be unable to change the battery in it.

I have had my same Ponto for 7 years and have had zero issues with it.  About a year after I got it, I fell and whacked my head against the wall, damaging it.  Oticon Medical overnighted a replacement, already programmed with my settings, free of charge.

I would love to get the Ponto 3 with the streamer (which can be paired with any smart phone), but since what I have works just fine, I have not made the effort to check on it.

Hope that helps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 10:17:50 am »
The BAHA 5 (Cochlear) is awesome. 

And it is smaller than the Ponto.  At the time I got mine, April 2015, it was the smallest most powerful BAHA on the market.  I believe Cochlear has come out with a more powerful version - for those who have less hearing in their "good" ear than I do (I have 100% normal hearing in my good ear) - but not a smaller one. 

It works through your iPhone, which is a feature I love - and the available accessories are incredible.  At the time I got my BAHA 5 it came with a free accessory; not sure if that's still the case.

Cochlear's customer service is stellar and they are THE manufacturer of BAHA's.  They only make - and have only made from the start when they bought out Entific - CI's (cochlear implants) and BAHAs.  They don't "dabble" in hearing aids - which is the industry that Oticon owned for years before they decided to manufacture BAHAs.

My money is, and has always been, on Cochlear.  They have a long, well-earned reputation for quality BAHAs.  In my opinion, as a BAHA wearer for the past 10 years - who has upgraded 2x by choice because Cochlear's technology just keeps getting better - you can't go wrong with Cochlear.

And, it's important to remember that I have the old "hardware" and have actually demo'd Cochlear and Oticon products side-by-side. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alabamajane

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2018, 05:29:21 pm »
I agree with everything Jan has so enthusiastically said  ;)

I upgraded to the BAHA 5 power unit last June 16th and have loved it. Such a great upgrade from the 4. The BEST new feature ,, beside obvious increase in power and clarity,, is the ease of putting in the battery. The older units needed a separate tool for the battery,, but this unit you just place the battery in the slot and close the door and it boots up. Very simple!

Overall great product and customer service is excellent and very helpful. I can’t speak to the Oticon though and I know Clarice has always been very satisfied with hers.

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26