Author Topic: BAHA vs PONTO  (Read 42294 times)

Kristena

Re: BAHA vs PONTO
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »
You can get an MRI with the BAHA Attract (the magnet version), but the magnet leaves an "artifact" on the output. It's a black circle around the perimeter of the magnet, and nothing can be seen through that area. Depending on the position of the magnet, and the position of the area they are watching, there may or may not be issues with being able to see if your tumor is growing. I had an MRI with the magnet in place, and the outline of the artifact just barely skimmed my remaining tumor in the inner ear (so it could be measured). However my particular tumor started in the lining of my brain, and that area was blocked altogether. If it regenerated there, we wouldn't know. I have since had the magnet removed due to it not healing properly.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:30:21 am by Kristena »
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Chambo

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 03:07:06 pm »
Despite the Cochlear site saying MRIs are fine up to 1.5 Tesla, I just got an email this morning from my ENT saying 'you can't have MRIs with the BAHA Attract'.

Makes decision making a little easier re device.

Ponto a clear winner in my testing over the past week.

Now the harder decision is if I am comfortable with the external abutment.

To those that have the abutment, any issues with infection? Can you swim in pools, beaches?

Just mindful of improving hearing but then having restrictions on how I live my life again.

Thanks for all the advice!
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

Chambo

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 05:03:38 pm »
I think I have a solution.

I'm leaning towards getting the Ponto Power but on a softband (no
surgery) as I really only use the device in the evenings at home or in
the car.

As I work for myself predominantly at home I often won't need to wear
it that often. I also can't see myself wearing it out at noisy places likes
restaurants due to lack of effect.

I also don't want my lifestyle jeopardised (eg - not travelling
somewhere such as Malaysia where we go often for family reasons due to
fear of infection at the abutment site).

My main question is would health insurance still cover the device if
you don't have it in conjunction with surgery.

What are people's thoughts on this option?
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

ANGuy

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 08:44:16 pm »
I don't understand all of the issues with "infection" regarding abutments.  Tens, probably hundreds, of thousands of people have multiple titanium abutments in a place much less sanitary than your scalp and never get infections.  They are called dental implants.  I have two of them and getting them was stupid easy.  I had extensive damage from a history of damage due to trauma to my mouth as a kid and other than the reconstruction of the bone itself, which wasn't a big deal either, the implants themselves we a bit of local anesthesia, some cutting and drilling, some screwing and some sewing, and some waiting.

Unless you are getting your abutment installed in the back of a barber shop, there should be no issues with infection.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Chambo

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 12:54:35 am »
Thanks ANGuy. So assuming you haven't had any issues from your abutment then? Good to hear.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 06:44:18 am »
Hi Chambo .....

Most insurance companies consider implanting the abutment as a prosthetic device and therefore will cover the cost, even if done apart from your AN surgery.  I doubt if your insurance company would approve the cost of only the processor, without the abutment.

As for wearing it only occasionally ..... you really need to wear the processor (the Ponto) most of your waking hours to get the maximum benefit.  Hearing is really a "brain" thing, in that one's ear (or processor) is only the conductor of sounds to transmit to the brain for understanding/use.  The more you wear the processor the better the brain will adapt to receiving/interpreting sounds from that side.

I put my processor on right after my shower in the morning and rarely think about it again until I remove it to sleep.  Obviously, I need to remove the processor for any swimming/water activities and I am even careful to cover/protect it from rain, etc.

As for infection ..... I try to be very diligent to brush (with the soft brush provided) around the abutment at night, especially on a day I may not have washed my hair.  Every now and then I will experience a mild irritation around the post, but a wipe around it with peroxide, followed by a tiny dab of Neosporin, clears it up by the next morning.  I have traveled extensively with no issues.

Hope that info helps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chambo

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 05:09:02 pm »
Thanks Clarice - you are a wealth of Ponto knowledge!

My thoughts are it can't hurt to try and get the Ponto covered by insurance on the soft band in the first instance.

Then see how often I use it and determine at a later date if I want to go ahead with surgery.

Will keep you posted as to how I get on...!
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

ANGuy

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 09:24:46 pm »
Thanks ANGuy. So assuming you haven't had any issues from your abutment then? Good to hear.

Mine are dental implants.  And no, I have not had any problems with them.  They are titanium screws that are screwed into the jaw bone and protrude through the gum.

In the very high likelihood that I will some day need a BAHA, I wouldn't hesitate to have an abutment put in behind my ear.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Chambo

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 07:19:34 pm »
Boom. Just picked up Ponto Pro Power today!

My health insurer covered it on soft-band!

For those Aussies on the forum, Oticon are only aware of Medibank covering on soft-band as well as upgrades every 2 years.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 07:37:29 pm »
Yaaaaay for your insurance covering the Ponto Pro on a headband!!  That is not the usual in the U.S.!!  Maybe I'll move to Australia!   ;D

Let us know what you think about it.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chambo

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 01:55:14 am »
Yaaaaay for your insurance covering the Ponto Pro on a headband!!  That is not the usual in the U.S.!!  Maybe I'll move to Australia!   ;D

Let us know what you think about it.

Clarice

Pretty stoked Clarice. And thanks for your comments - they were EXTREMELY helpful and accurate during my research.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 11:12:57 am »
I don't understand all of the issues with "infection" regarding abutments.  Tens, probably hundreds, of thousands of people have multiple titanium abutments in a place much less sanitary than your scalp and never get infections.

I realize this is an old thread, but just came across it now and wanted to comment on BAHA infections.

I've had a BAHA implant (Cochlear) since March 2008 and have had only 1 very minor infection - although I know others who have had more  :(

It's important not to "aggravate" your BAHA site by cleaning it too aggressively.  Some people use a small toothbrush with soft bristles, but this is a big no-no.  Brushing can cause the site to be irritated - especially if you have little or no feeling in the site area and therefore have no idea how aggressively you are brushing.  Often irritation leads to infection. 

The other thing that can lead to infection is ingrown hairs in the site area.  Docs do their best to scrape the hair follicles free from the site, but sometimes they miss a follicle or two and ingrown hair(s) result.

I do nothing more than "wash" my BAHA site every day when I wash my hair in the shower and I use nothing but whatever shampoo I happen to be using to wash my hair. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alabamajane

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 05:21:45 pm »
I have to say here that the reason some are using a small toothbrush type brush to clean the area is probably because the welcome kit that Cochlear gives you has one in it for just that reason. At least the kit I just received in Dec. does. It also has a much stiffer little black brush though for the processor cleaning.

I will agree that I don't  use it very often at all for cleaning the area on my head. Occasionally I get my husband to gently brush it but I don't bother. I have not had any problems with it and audiologist has seen it several times and says it looks good.  I don't wash it daily either but about every 2 days when I wash my hair. It just doesn't get that dirty. I agree that too much rubbing and aggravating is not a good idea.

translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 04:29:19 pm »
Have noticed the toothbrush type brush Cochlear gives out with new processors keeps getting softer and smaller.

The one with my BP100 was much smaller and softer than the one I received with my Divino.  In turn, the one I got with my BAHA 5 is smaller and softer than the one I received with my BP100. 

Audiologist confirmed today that some docs still tell BAHA recipients that it's okay to use a brush, but that depends on the doc and on the amount of numbness in the site area. 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

viennakid@aol.com

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »
Well I had aha Implant put in.

Processor  will not snap on

what next
Al