Author Topic: BAHA vs PONTO  (Read 42292 times)

neetze1

BAHA vs PONTO
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:41:46 pm »
I am confused!  Which one is better, the BAHA or the PONTO?  Are they both essentially the same?
I have an audiologist that thinks the PONTO is better but went to a support group meeting recently and there was a speaker that showed us a BAHA and she felt the BAHA was better  (she worked for BAHA so she would think that) I don't know what to think now and can't change my mind once the abutment is put in.

Any suggestions?  ???
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA vs PONTO
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 07:07:51 am »
Ideally if you can demo both products, you would have a better test for the difference in sound of the two ..... although demos with a band are never as good as the sound from an implanted abutment.

When I discussed with my doctor about the differences between the two, he said Oticon has been in the business of making hearing aids for decades so they have the advantage of vast experience in making good processors (the device that actually picks up the sounds and transfers them to the abutment).  Cochlear pioneered the cochlear implant, which is quite different because it transfers sound directly into a working cochlea (which those of us who have had translab surgeries no longer have).  So both companies have different advantages in experience.

I chose the Oticon Medical Ponto Pro and for me it is superb. I love it!  I snap on the processor first thing after my shower in the morning and never think about it again until I take it off to go to bed.

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

neetze1

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:42:01 pm »
Thank you Clarice for your response.  I also had translab.  I did test the Ponto on a band but did not test the BAHA.  It is hard to tell from just wearing it on a band.  Do you think the type of surgery we had makes one better than the other for those of us that had translab  vs  retrosigmoid?  This is confusing.  I thank you for your input.
Anita
Anita
South Jersey

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 05:58:44 am »
Hi Anita .....

The way I understand it, the two devices (Oticon Medical or Cochlear) work on the same bone-conducted principle of transferring incoming sounds from the location of the processor to whatever auditory nerve is still working and capable of picking them up.  As far as I know, the SoundBite (made by Sonitus) works on that same principle, as well.  It conducts the sounds via the appliance on one's teeth (from the behind the ear receiver), which conduct to the bone.

Your doctor should be able to tell you the status of your auditory nerve(s), as to whether a bone-conducted hearing device is appropriate in your situation.  If an AN patient's auditory nerve is not working on the AN side, I do not think it matters which surgical approach was used.  Translab is the only one that automatically and permanently causes SSD, because the cochlea is removed during surgery.

For what it is worth, I retained 20% of usable hearing following my first (retrosigmoid) surgery, but lost the remainder with the translab.  I used a traditional air-conducted hearing aid for the time between the two, although at the time of my pre-second surgery audiogram, I was already losing some speech discrimination.

The choice between Oticon Medical's Ponto and Cochlear's BAHA is basically a personal decision based on your assessment of the sound quality, appearance of the devices, additional "bells and whistles" options, reputation for servicing, patient satisfaction, etc.

Best wishes.  Clarice

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:00:44 pm »
Just a point of clarification...BAHA a type of hearing aid, Bone Anchored Hearing Aid.  Ponto is the name of a BAHA device manufactured by Oticon, and Cochlear is another manufacturer (The very first ones to do so for BAHA!).  I know there are so many terms being thrown around, just what we wanted right? To increase our medical vocabulary? LOL :)

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

neetze1

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »
Thank you again Clarice!
And thank you Jay for the terminology clarification!  It takes a lot of people to keep me straight  ;)
Anita
South Jersey

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 06:37:06 am »
Oh no worries!! That's what this forum is for...to ask and learn and help! And we are glad to do so! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 05:20:07 pm »
I have a Cochlear BAHA processor (and Cochlear "equipment" for my implant).

At the time I got my BAHA implant, Oticon (makers of the Ponto) didn't make BAHA devices; they only made hearing aids. 

When I decided to upgrade my device I demo'd both a Cochlear and a Oticon processor.  They were both virtually the same, but I found that the Cochlear processor had better sound quality - and at the time, their customer service blew Oticon's away.  That was a few years ago, so things may have changed.  I'm not sure.

You should demo both company's processors if you can.

Nowadays you can't switch back and forth from company to company like you used to be able to.

If you opt for a Oticon BAHA implant you have to use Oticon's processors; if you opt for a Cochlear BAHA implant you have to use Cochlear's processors.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Chambo

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:25:12 pm »
Trialling both the BAHA4 and Ponto Plus Power at home at the minute, both on headband.

To those that have trialled both, is it just me or is the sound and quality (less feedback) of the Ponto waaaaay better?

The BAHA4 seems tinny and like you are hearing someone in the distance or in a tunnel.

My issue is my ENT is a figure head for Cochlear so is heavily biased towards the BAHA4.

In an ideal world I'd wait for Ponto's magnetic version but this is 18 months to 24 months away.

Tough call as I want the Ponto but not that keen on the metal abutment.

Any tips from users??
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:34:47 am »
Hi Chambo .....

I think you have your answer.

However, I want to say that because I live in a relatively remote area, I make a three-hour drive to the closest audiologist with training in programming the Oticon Medical Ponto Pro.  It is so worth it to me for the sound I get from my Ponto.

The abutment was implanted at the time of my translab surgery across the country from me so it was not practical to go back out to California when it was time to be able to use the processor (I received the Ponto at the time of surgery).  After the initial programming at my closer audiologist and a tweaking two months later, I only go now for a yearly audiogram (for my "good" ear) and check-up.

There are other patients on this forum who have found new doctors who will implant the Oticon Medical abutment, because you have to make that decision first (the processors are no longer interchangeable).

Best wishes.  Clarice

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 11:06:38 am »
Customer service makes a difference. Sound quality makes a difference.

I have a Cochlear BAHA. The outside case cracked twice while it was under warranty. Cochlear paid for the shipping both ways and the turn around was 48 hours...sent it in on Monday and had it back Wednesday.  The cracks were starting in an area where a screw goes through the case and there was a mold line there from the manufacturing process. Cochlear changed the molds. No problems since then.

After my BAHA was out of warranty the on/off switch was starting to fail. Cochlear repaired it at no cost.

When I first got my BAHA, it was not working out the way I hoped it would. Went to a new audiologist and she called the Cochlear rep. Cochlear rep called me and she set an appointment with the audiologist and my BAHA was reprogrammed at no cost. The first audiologist had it set up the wrong way.

I love how my BAHA works however my good ear is going south so I just got a hearing aid...get to that in a moment. My audiologist wants me to get a BAHA 4, so she put me in a Resound hearing aid. Both products are WIFI and both will operate with Apple products. Resound makes devices  that Cochlear puts there label on. The controllers operate the Resound and the BAHA. Cochlear even recommended I get a Resound.

I have no experience with Ponto so I have nothing to offer here.

Sound quality is hard to discuss. We all hear things differently. Keith just reported that his BAHA sound quality is higher with a BAHA 4 over his BP100. I need a little more powerful BAHA and Cochlear provides a BAHA with a higher gain. That is a plus for me.

I am not trying to sell you a BAHA over a Ponto Medical. You will have to decide which is best for you. Cochear offers a wider range of products and excellent customer service. I have never heard anything bad about the Ponto Medical.

James

alabamajane

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 04:23:18 pm »

I can't speak to the Oticon Ponto as I have just been activated in the last 3 weeks with a new BAHA 4.

I will say a couple of things though,, you can't tell decisively what the unit will deliver from the headband test I don't believe. For one thing, it's not implanted into the bone so it won't be as precise and clear as an implanted one. Another very important factor is that it is going to take your brain awhile to become accustomed to sounds from that side again before it sounds right,,if that makes sense,,, mine is better every day and it's only been three weeks. You have been SSD For much longer than I also,,, I had my surgery in 2011,,

Also I sensed from your post that you are hoping to get the magnetic version of the device and Oticon doesn't have that option yet,, if you are still needing annual MRIs it is my understanding that you would not be a candidate for the magnetic version anyway. That's what I was told anyway,, plus the magnetic version does not produce as clear a sound as the post version. The post is titanium and does not interfere with MRIs .

Just a few thoughts from my viewpoint as a new recipient of a BAHA device.. Take it for what it's worth,, 2 cents,,,?? ::)
Good luck in your decision making process!!   Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Chambo

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 08:08:19 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback (no pun intended) guys!

That was going to be my next question - given I still have annual follow up brain MRIs, am I not even a candidate for the new BAHA4 magnetic version?

Much easier decision process if I am able to discount some options immediately.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

Chambo

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 08:42:32 pm »
Just did some more research and looks like BAHA Attract (magnetic option) is fine for MRI up to Tesla 1.5 (which is the strength of the MRIs I have been having in the past).

If only Ponto had the magnetic option my decision would be that much easier.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 12:35:16 pm »
I have an implant. My BAHA snaps into the implant and I can feel it when it snaps in and when it snaps out. I have knocked my BAHA out of the implant playing with the grandkids or working in the yard. Not only can I feel it, I can hear it snap out...which is a good thing. I know that I better start looking for it where I am.

Just guessing, but would you hear a magnetic BAHA or feel a magnetic BAHA fall off your head? It could be a problem if your reach up to take it off, and it is missing.

James