Author Topic: Anything I should be doing to aid recovery?  (Read 2689 times)

evestew1

Anything I should be doing to aid recovery?
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:47:39 pm »
Dear ANers, I'm 5 weeks post-Translab to remove 3 cm AN. I think my recovery is going fine but I am very unsure of how I "should" be feeling at this point or if there are very specific things I could/should do to aid recovery.  I did 6 sessions of both PT and OT through a home health service but I have since graduated and am just doing the balance exercises on my own and getting out for walks (avg 3-4 miles/day).  I have read that people have found walking very beneficial -- is there a daily goal I should be shooting for? In general my dizziness has subsided but I still occasionally lose my balance/bearings if I move very quickly or am turning my head in multiple directions. I would like to start driving again soon - my doctor's office said I would  just know when I'm ready. I don't intuitively feel ready but I'm wondering if I should give it a try and see how it goes? I have facial paralysis and keeping my eye moist is resulting in blurred vision so that is a factor too.   

Finally, I am confused about how to address facial paralysis in these early days - some posters here have warned not to attempt facial exercises (to avoid synkesis, I think) while others have credited their recovery to daily attempts to get the muscles moving.  I don't want to miss a window of opportunity in my recovery so if folks can share their rehab tips, it would be greatly appreciated! 
Eve
Translab surgery 2/2/15 to remove 3 cm AN;  SSD and facial paralysis

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Anything I should be doing to aid recovery?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:06:59 pm »
Hi Eve .....

It sounds like you are doing well post-op.  Walking is really the best exercise at this point.  You might work on your head imbalance issues by practicing walking down a hallway in your home and moving your head side to side and then up and down while walking ..... increasing the speed of movement as you are able.

As for driving ..... I held off driving for longer than I needed because my rationale was "if I cannot walk straight, how in the world could I drive safely."  My husband convinced me to try it in a big, open, empty parking lot.  Surprisingly I had no issues driving, it was (and still is for me) only when walking that I experience the imbalance.

In your case, the greater issue is probably one of blurred vision.  If you feel sturdy and safe walking, I would think it would be okay to drive.  Try it in a safe, uncrowded place and see how you do.

As for facial exercises, I will let others with facial issues give their thoughts .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lorigasper

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:41:42 pm »
Hi Eve,

I'm so glad your recovery seems to be going so well!  I wanted to share that I had an independent analysis done when I was ready to start driving again.  I found a gentlemen who had been a driving instructor and also had knowledge of adaptive driving through a hospital.  I know that an OT through a local hospital did driving analysis also.  Anyway, I just felt more confident when an outside evaluator told me I was safe to drive. (He did a brief cognitive eval, checked my reflexes, took me for a drive, etc.)  You might consider looking for something similar if you need some peace of mind.

I agree that part of your balance challenges could be complicated by your blurred vision.  I love the scleral lens that I use during the day.  If your dry eye continues, you might look into them.  It could make a difference.  Until then, I think Clarice's suggestions will help.

Blessings and continued good healing!
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

evestew1

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:11:53 pm »
Thank you Clarice & Lori for your suggestions and encouragement! The folks on this forum truly are a blessing, not to mention tremendously kind and brave :)
Translab surgery 2/2/15 to remove 3 cm AN;  SSD and facial paralysis