Author Topic: Experiences with Doctors in Dallas, TX Area  (Read 3154 times)

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
Experiences with Doctors in Dallas, TX Area
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:33:49 am »
Hello all,
I was diagnosed with a small AN on 8/15 and have been reading the ANA site and lurking here ever since.  Finally worked up the nerve to post some questions!  :-)

Primarily I am looking for info on doctors in the Dallas area.  The WTT list has 2 people in my area so I will contact them but thought I'd ask here as well.

My ENT referred me to Dr Hahn (neurotologist) and Dr Coimbra (neurosurgeon) at Medical City in Dallas.  I saw them last week and they both recommended middle fossa surgery.  They felt that, even though my AN is small, with the symptoms I have (high-frequency hearing loss in left ear, tinnitus, vertigo, and feeling of "fullness" in that ear), this surgery would be my best option and best chance to preserve remaining hearing. 

I have also scheduled additional appointments with Dr Kutz and Dr Mickey at UT Southwestern (from ANA's list) this week.  Everything I have read has stressed the importance of getting multiple opinions as well as finding doctors with significant experience with this very specialized type of tumor, so would love to know if anyone here has any personal experience with any of these doctors (or even this type of surgery!) you'd be willing to share.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mid 2013:  high-frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues, fullness in ear
Aug 2014 (age 39):  diagnosed with 4mm x 6mm x 8mm AN
Nov 25, 2014:  Middle Fossa Surgery at UTSW with Dr Kutz & Dr Mickey
 - 6 months post-op still battling fluctuating vision issues

TSS

Re: Experiences with Doctors in Dallas, TX Area
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:38:31 pm »
After consulting with Dr. Finn (neurosurgeon) and Dr. O'Conner (radiosurgeon) at Baylor downtown I elected CK with Dr. O'Conner.  Neurosurgeon in so many words recommended radiation and that was the tiebreaker for me.  I started out 2.5 CM last Summer and MRI in April ' 14 down to 2.0 (9 mos later);   experience has been very satisfactory.   Best of Luck!

blanc

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 05:45:50 pm »
Hi minerva1221,

So sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with AN.
The AN forum was a great resource for me . I also felt comforted just knowing that there are people out here going through the same issue like me. Their stories and experiences helped me a lot.

****Thanks forum for sharing and for the love and support***

I have not been very active on the forum though
I had my surgery done in Boston in 2010 and then relocated to Dallas.

All the best with all. I plan on attending meetings in the DFW area going forward

TSS,
All the best with your Radiation sessions

Regards
PBF
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:48:29 pm by blanc »

v357139

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:19:55 pm »
I have heard good things about Dr Mickey.  You can also use the search feature in the upper right corner and search on the  doctor and facility name.  You will find posts of people who had those doctors. 

I agree several opinions are worthwhile.  For example, If you are interested in radiation, make sure you talk to a very experienced radiosurgeon.  I have several doctors tell me radiation was not a great idea, then a very experienced radiosurgeon said I was a prime candidate for radiation - the point here is that doctors differ.  So if you want to get the story on the whole spectrum of treatments, you need to talk to several doctors.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!