Author Topic: Questions about CK and GK.  (Read 3323 times)

Archer

Questions about CK and GK.
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »
Hello all.  Wish I didn’t have to say this but I’m back.  I am however glad to see you are all still here!  I was a frequent visitor and poster a couple years ago after I found out I had a second AN.  This one on my left side after having had the one on my right side removed in 2002.  That surgery left me without hearing on my right side.  Once I found out about “Lefty” I’ll call it, I started seeing Dr.s again checking out my options.  I visited my original surgeon and was told quite matter of factly  my options were limited.  In so many words it was “Surgery will almost surely leave you completely deaf, or you can have Gama Knife and you will retain hearing for a while.  What do you choose?  Let me know.”  At least that was the impression my wife and I left there with. 

That is when I really started reading this forum and trying to find better options or at least details.  That is how I got to Dr. Brackmann at the House Clinic.  After sending my records to him, and going to LA for a visit, I opted for a Decompression surgery during which Dr. Brackmann basically went in and removed some bone to open up the canal through which the tumor was growing to relieve the pressure on the nerves.  This was to buy me some more time and make the W&W process a bit less damaging if Lefty was to keep growing.

Well, my two year MRI was completed the other day and sent off to Dr. Brackmann.  I haven’t heard back yet but didn’t expect to this soon.  I did however cheat and got a copy of the MRI and looked at it myself.  I also had a copy of last years to compare it to.  I am not by any means self-diagnosing but I can see a definite growth in what I perceive to be Lefty.  If I read last year’s and this year’s MRIs, even somewhat knowledgably, it has grown from 1.3cm to 2.6cm.  I have to admit I am a bit concerned.  I am going to patiently wait to hear from Dr. Brackmann but am also going to begin researching, once again, what my options might be.
So, after my long re-introduction, here are some questions I have.  Knowing removal is not an option without total hearing loss, I am learning about CK and GK.  My first question is whether either one is more effective at killing Lefty than the other.  Secondly, I am curious if there are chances or statistics relating to the chances of losing the hearing I have left due to CK or GK.   And finally, at least for now, isn’t there some damage done to the nerves during the Radiosurgery as well as targeting Lefty.  I thought that the nerves were surrounded and even somewhat entwined in the tumor.  Isn’t it almost impossible to burn Lefty without burning some of the nerve as well?  All these questions I am sure will be answered if the need arises but I hope you all can understand my curiosity. 

I know radio surgery is sometimes seen as having the possibility of causing problems off into the future and know many consider age in their decision making.  So just as information I had my first surgery at age 51.  Found Lefty on my 10 year follow up MRI.  Had my decompression surgery at age 61 and am now 63.

Finally, I would like to say, this place is amazing.  I see many names I recognize from two years ago all still helping and supporting each other any way you can.  I am very glad you are still here.  Thank you!!

Archer

Re: Questions about CK and GK.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:14:18 pm »
Well timing is everything.  Dr Brackmann called me this evening.  He received my MRI and has measured it as 2.3 X 2.3.X 2.3 cm.  he is recommending GK an if the nerve is not compromised he wants to put in a CI.  Whew, I expected something but wasn't quite as ready to hear it as I thought.  Guess I'll be asking him these questions soon enough.  I'd still appreciate hearing anyone experience with hearing retention post GK. 

Thanks

Echo

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »
Hi Archer,

Welcome back and so sorry to hear that it's due to new growth. 

At 63 with a 2.3cm AN I think you will find that radiation would be recommended as a good choice.  I believe the results for Gamma Knife or Cyberknife are very similar in regards to retaining your hearing.  I had Gamma Knife Sept. 2013 and couldn't be happier with the results to far. I had serviceable hearing prior to treatment but my word recognition was at 20%. While I can still hear noise around me in general, and can function without hearing aids, my speech recognition has decreased to 10%.  I went ahead and purchased the Phonak Bi Cross hearing aid to help me at work and in social settings and it is truly amazing - I highly recommend them.

The ANAUSA June 2014 Newsletter has an excellent article written by Dr. Steven Chang who specializes in Radiosurgery.  He addresses several of your questions regarding hearing outcomes post treatment. One of his statements that you will find interesting is:  While some patients have shown excellent hearing preservation over a decade after treatment, other patients have shown decline in hearing over time following radiosurgery. Furthermore, patients who are in a watch and wait mode also typically can show hearing loss over time, so it can be difficult to determine whether hearing loss after radiosurgery is related to treatment, or just a reflection of the natural history of a patient's disease. You can find the Newletter with this article under the Member's Section.

Let us know how things go.

Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Archer

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:46:03 pm »
Cathie,
Thanks for the response.  Very helpful.  I too would recommend the Phonak Bi Cros.  I've had them for a year now and they are a big help.   I just got the TV Streamer and now my wife doesn't have to plug her ears while we are both watching TV.   ::)

Dr Chang's comments give me hope that I will retain some hearing.  With two granddaughters I have a lot to listen to these days.  I'll be looking for the article.

Thanks again!