Author Topic: Dental xrays  (Read 2896 times)

lorjacks

Dental xrays
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:52:47 pm »
I will need to get a root canal soon  :o and thought I'd share this with the board. I am concerned about the xrays but have been referred to an endodontist who takes digital xrays. My dentist said these are very very low radiation. Looked it up on the web and found this:
"Digital radiography (digital x-ray) is the latest technology used to take dental x-rays.  This technique uses an electronic sensor (instead of x-ray film) that captures and stores the digital image on a computer.  This image can be instantly viewed and enlarged helping the dentist and dental hygienist detect problems easier.  Digital x-rays reduce radiation 80-90% compared to the already low exposure of traditional dental x-rays."

So thought I'd share... if you need a dentist look for one who does the digital xrays.

In my case it's a cracked tooth, and a root canal may be a waste of time anyway. So I might just have it pulled and avoid xray all together. Not sure what I'll do yet. It's not hurting me if I don't use it to chew and I just had the CK last week, so honestly I'm not ready for anymore medical drama right now lol!

Loree
diagnosed in 2009
W&W 5 years
AN grew to 2.4
CK at the University of Miami Sylvester Center
July 30, 2014
"By heaven, man, we are turned round and round in this world, like yonder windlass, and Fate is the handspike"... Melville

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Dental xrays
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:38 am »
Thank you for the info Loree! It does help me loads yes I was concerned particularly because my neurosurgeon seemed to be concerned. I didn't know of this 'digital version". I shall advise him and my general dentist.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

PaulW

Re: Dental xrays
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:19:56 pm »
Digital X-rays have been around for quite some time.
The radiation dose is extremely low...
About the same as a one hour plane flight. Or sitting in your own home for 24 hours.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!