Author Topic: scleral lenses  (Read 3285 times)

michelej

scleral lenses
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:38:17 pm »
Hi. I had a translab procedure two weeks ago. Everything went fine. My only real complaint (besides the nasty cut on my stomach) is my right eye is dry. It is not horrible, but definitely annoying. I was wondering what a scleral lens was? I wore contacts for years but had to give them up about five years ago because my eyes were dry and didn't produce enough tears. I am post menopausal so that doesn't help either. I do wear glasses since I am near-sighted and have astigmatism. Just curious as to what these were and where to ask about them. I have my recheck in two weeks with my otolaryng. surgeon. Thanks for the info.
Michele ;D

lorigasper

Re: scleral lenses
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:25:55 am »
Hi Michele-
I'm a new user of a scleral lens, so there are others that can share more than I can.  I'll give you what I can.  A scleral lens is one that is larger and deeper than most lenses.  There are a few kinds, so use the internet to look for details.  Mine was available thru my optometrist, but there are doctors that can be found on the internet for your area, I'm sure.  Though originally developed for those with misshapen or scarred corneas, they are being used by those of us that have dry eyes also.  The idea is that they keep your eye bathed in a saline solution, so dryness won't bother you and you won't do damage to your cornea.

My doctor suggested I start with the GP kind because he thought it would best protect my eye.  I'm up to about a 7-hour stretch with them.  I also wore contacts years ago and I think that helps with the adjustment period.  My eye doctor submitted it to my eye insurance as "medically necessary" and I think it will be covered.  Not all are successful with that, but so far it's looking good for me.

You should look in the "eye issues" section of this site for threads about scleral lenses.  It was very helpful to me.  My doctors had never used these lenses with patients like me, but were willing to try when I shared what I'd read here.  So far, my scleral lens is working really well and I'm more than pleased.  I hope you'll have good success too!  Let us know if there's anything else we can offer.

Lori
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14