Author Topic: Surgery complete!  (Read 3378 times)

carlellis

Surgery complete!
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:44:06 pm »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, but you've all helped me so much in coming to my decision. I wanted to share my story. I had retro sigmoid surgery on October 7th 2014. Dr's Selesnick and Gutin out of Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. Today is Friday the tenth, and I am home. My tumor was 1.5cm. Prior to surgery they told me they would have to leave a piece to save my facial nerve. I was a little disturbed. I chose surgery to remove a tumor and never look back. But I guess a working face is good too.I'm happy to report that they removed the entire tumor, saved my facial nerve, and preserved my hearing nerve! I did loose my hearing, but a preserved nerve gives me options for the future.

The night of surgery was absolutely horrific. I was in so much pain from the side of my head down to my shoulder. I was on morphine every two hours. The next day was not much better. I was nausuas, vomiting with the slightest movement, and in pain. They moved me out of ICU to a regular room where I slept a pretty good sleep. The next day I was much better and started physical therapy. Today, I've had some headaches off and on. Some worse than others, but I've learned to take pain pills to prevent them. I took a bath as soon as I got home, practiced walking around the house, and finally had dinner and enjoyed being home with my kids. Now I'm in my own bed, and the real healing will begin.

The care at MSK was amazing. The entire staff are gentle, caring souls. I thank you all so much for my care and recovery.

Carl Ellis

tdandu

Re: Surgery complete!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:19:06 am »
Hi Carl,

First of all, Congrats on the successful surgery . That in itself should be a big relief and thanks for keeping us posted about it. Happy to know that you are recovering well and quick. That's great.

My husband has been recently diagonized with AN with differential diagnosis of Menengioma in the IAC. Do you mind , if I PM you with some questions about the surgeons and experience ? Ofcourse , please take your time to reply.

Thanks,
MG

carlellis

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:52:52 am »
Hi MG, of course. PM away. I'll answer what I can.

CS

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:54:56 pm »
Hi Carl,

Congrats on the successful surgery!

I just had mine (Retro-Sigmoid) on 3 weeks ago and I am getting better every day.  I just returned to my work today (working from home) and have been handling my job much better than I thought :)

You will continue to get well!
Diagnosed: 06/04/14
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN
Seeking best treatment option! :)
09/24/14 Retro-Sigmoid Removal

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:31:49 am »
Congratulations, Carl!  And best wishes to you as you continue with your recovery!
Mid 2013:  high-frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues, fullness in ear
Aug 2014 (age 39):  diagnosed with 4mm x 6mm x 8mm AN
Nov 25, 2014:  Middle Fossa Surgery at UTSW with Dr Kutz & Dr Mickey
 - 6 months post-op still battling fluctuating vision issues