Author Topic: Only 1 dr performing husbands translab-is there cause to be concerned???  (Read 5023 times)

ConcernedWifeWendy

My husband feels "stuck" in the decision to go with a doctor that is an otolaryngologist that will perform the surgery solo, but says he does have a team and they will monitor the facial nerve. This doctor says he has done at least a thousand AN surgeries, but is not considered a neurosurgeon.  The reason my husband feels "stuck" is because his work sent him home last week telling him they believe he might be a liability at work due to his slight dizziness.  That means he HAD to start FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) which allows him 12 weeks off without losing his job, otherwise his employer can "let him go and he can reapply when he has a full recovery and maybe he will get his job back".  He has already seen a doctor that I mentioned above and has "tentatively" scheduled surgery for him at the end of September.  In the meantime, before he was forced to take FMLA, I was calling another doctor to see if he had a cancellation so my husband could get in to see him.  We were doing this so my husband would have another doctor in the same "league" as this doctor when it comes to experience. But because of only having 12 weeks (11 now) he just wants to get this over with. I know the ANA recommends a "team" but does anyone know of someone having microsurgery with a otolaryngologist ONLY??? My husband and I have had the talk about getting the best so he has a better outcome after surgery, but now things have changed since time is limited now.  Any advice?????   

ANGuy

I am newly diagnosed and choosing my path.  So far, I am in watch and wait.  I have had several office visits and settled, for now, on who my surgical team will be if and when I have surgery.  The two are a team, they collaborate on ALL of these surgeries.  One is a neuro-oto, the other is a neurosurgeon who specializes in skull base tumors.

Only your husband can decide what is right for him.  But, since you asked, I'll give you my two cents.  First, I would not be in any hurry to get treatment unless his tumor is so critical that something must be done now.  Work is not a good enough reason to get surgery.  For one thing, it could very well take more than three months to recover.  Second, his symptoms may never be better than they are now.  Third, it takes time to be comfortable with a treatment plan.  Your husband may be comfortable, you certainly aren't.

I would look into other solutions besides rushing into treatment.  The Americans with Disabilities Act MAY protect him.  I don't know if AN's qualify under that act, but if they do, his job MUST make "reasonable accommodations" including allowing him time off for relief of symptoms.  His employer may not be aware of just how much compassion is afforded under the ADA law.  I would explore the ADA to see if it gives you guys some breathing room.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

v357139

I have heard of doctors working solo before.  So it is not completely unusual.  The main thing is the doctor should be very experienced, and  also have a great track record of success.  This is a delicate surgery.  Do you feel he is the best?  You need to get the best surgeon you can.  Best of luck and keep us posted.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

LakeErie

Re: Only 1 dr performing husbands translab-is there cause to be concerned???
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:03:58 am »
My surgery was done by one surgeon, a neurosurgeon. He told me he used to work with a "oto" but after enough time he learned what they did and operated solo from then on. I had no problem not having a team approach. If this doctor has 1000 AN surgeries he should be very well known to your local AN association. Have you determined anything about his reputation?
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

ANGuy

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 07:57:37 pm »
Just a thought,  I'd be a little suspicious of someone claiming to have done it 1000 AN surgeries.   That's once a week for 20 years straight.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:01:04 pm »
Hey Wendy...boy isn't this just a fun time? Trying to decide what to do was the absolute worst for me!  I haven't heard about the single doctor thing, but maybe the type of procedure you're doing may dictate how easily the doctor can get in there.  I think translab they go in more behind the ear as opposed to what I had, middle fossa, which is above and forward of the mid-point of the ear (like almost a hands-width away from the temple).  I know the IAC is in the same spot regardless but again, maybe its easier to get to via translab therefor negates the need for a neurosurgeon? Might be a good question to ask the doctor.  Let us know how it goes! Good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Still standing

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »
Hi Wendy,
I had a translab 2 years ago and had a neurosurgeon and a neurotologist and their entire team. My outcome has been fortunate all things considering. I credit this outcome to my surgeons.
When I found out about my tumor I also had to stop working, shut down my business. I hope your husband can see this time as a gift. Life will be different post op, not to say it won't eventually be wonderful, but each day is a gift. If he can utilize this time to strengthen his core and his resolve to heal his rehabilitation will be easier.
My advice is that you stick to "getting the best for a better outcome." Many people are maimed in this surgery. Exhaust all avenues. What does not kill us makes us stronger.  I realize that he feels pressure with his "leave" from work, that the bills have to get paid, but please try to consider quality of life.  If I had to choose just one thing that this experience has taught me, it would be that life is precious and fragile.  (and that cliches are true.) In the end, what matters the most? His job or his quality of life. I know this is all easier said than done and that your reality right now is so difficult and trying.
Please know that you also are not alone. Many of us have spouses who have been dragged along on this journey. Mine,  and myself, would/will be willing to be an ear for you post op, as you may want someone to talk to. The steroids your husband will have to take can be very altering and this entire experience is changing the life as you knew it. I pray for you that your journey isn't too long or too difficult. And, of course, that whatever you all decide, his outcome will be miraculous.
Please keep us posted.
3cm AN diagnosed July 2012 brain stem compression/significant hearing loss
Translab Aug 2012, Presbyterian Hosp with Dr.'s Horn and Metzger
6mm AN post op Gamma Knife April 2013
Deaf on rt.side, pressure, numbness, tingling, fatigue, cheek and eye tightness