Author Topic: Anyone have pressure/fullness in ears?  (Read 5427 times)

ilenav

Anyone have pressure/fullness in ears?
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:56:37 pm »
I am newly diagnosed with Acoustic Neuroma and am trying to figure out if this pressure I have in my ears is related to the tumor or something else.  It comes and goes but it feels like I have water in my ears and kind of like they need to pop.  It will last a little while and then it clears.  It is very uncomfortable.  Anyone have something similar to this?

Echo

Re: Anyone have pressure/fullness in ears?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:52:37 am »
You mention "ears" in your post, do you have the pressure feeling in both ears or just your AN ear?

The pressure feeling you describe is a symptom that I had in my AN ear that would come and go very randomly during the year after my diagnosis.   About 5 months post Gamma Knife it was very bad for about a week and then it disappeared and has not returned during the following 5 months.

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:13:35 am »
Fullness in the ear is a common symptom of AN's. Sometimes treatment alleviates the pressure and fullness, sometimes it does not. If it remains after treatment, we get used to it and it is less noticeable.
A unilateral AN does not cause the symptom in both ears.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:23:24 pm »
I get fullness in my AN ear.  I was just diagnosed with a 1cm AN and am still weighing different options, so I haven't had any treatment yet.  All of my AN symptoms fluctuate from darn near zero to pretty darn annoying.  Tinnitus, fullness bordering on pain,  quality/quantity of hearing, and balance are my symptoms and they come and go, sometimes even in the same day.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

MG

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »
Hi!
 I have the exact same symptoms  as ANGuy. I find Advil helps me a great deal. I take one in the morning and one in the late afternoon. I am on W&W and will find out on Tuesday if my MRI shows any growth
during the past year. Praying it hasn't grown!

Take care,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:21:49 pm »

Pressure? Fullness? Are you kidding? My head feels like a lead-lined helium balloon......if that makes any sense.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

michelej

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:55:57 pm »
This was a main complaint I started seeing a doctor for. There was fullness, crackling when I swallowed or chewed, and then hearing loss. I figured I had "fluid" in my ears. Tried Sudafed. ENT said I had silent reflux (GE reflux). Some symptoms got better so maybe I had some reflux too but the hearing loss persisted. It was annoying to say the least. Fought with this for three years until I saw a different ENT who ordered another MRI which showed the AN. It was incorrectly not diagnosed three years before on MRI. I wish I had known it back then and it would have been taken care of. Just had surgery last Thurs to remove the AN. Doing well. Good luck