Author Topic: Good for Another Year  (Read 2680 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Good for Another Year
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:19:32 pm »
I had my first annual scleral checkup today. It was an interesting visit; the doc chose me to be a test patient for training a new office assistant. No doubt because I am such an interesting case.

I thought I might need some correction for my right eye, but it still tests at 20/25 so I decided not to incur the expense of a second scleral at this time.

My left eye shows a bit more astigmatism than last time. I asked if that was due to wearing a scleral, and the answer was quite possibly. The lens is still providing good correction and is in good shape with no scratches, so I am going to keep it for another year unless something happens to it before then. He was quite interested in the cleaning pads I am using (see http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=20052.0) and will be recommending them to his other scleral and RGP patients.

We talked a bit about the SynergEyes hybrid lenses. He thinks that it would be a great option for my right eye when the time comes. The SynergEyes lenses allow for more tear transfer than regular sclerals, so he feels I would be better off staying with a true scleral in my left eye since it does not produce tears. Also the lens they recommend for post-LASIK patients is their post surgical lens, which he does not think comes in a multifocal version. Yet another reason to remain contact free in my right eye. I have perfect monovision so I only need to use reading glasses in low light.

All in all a good appointment and staying in a holding pattern for another year is good budget news as I am sending my second child to college in the fall.

Best,
Sara
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:58:38 am by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13