Author Topic: 60% of AN's have no growth  (Read 14453 times)

ewhitese

Re: 60% of AN's have no growth
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 03:22:05 am »
Hi Cont1592,
I see that it has been about 5 months since the original post on this thread.  Just wondering where you are in W&W and have you decided to make the plunge yet.  I was diagnosed June of 2013 chose not to W&W had GK surgery Aug 2013.  My AN was small  but I decided that bigger would not make it easier to deal with, considering I was in an active growth cycle.  I am in driving distance of UPMC Pittsburgh and was very comfortable with my decision.  I am 14 months post toasty and have gone through some difficult balance issues, vertigo, lost 90% hearing and huge tinnitus, fatigue.  I was unable to continue in my teaching career due to one sided deafness, my situation is not the norm, I was a votech teacher with a class of special needs students, no teaching assistants and dangerous environment, welding, live electrical projects, machinery, saws, motors etc.  I was unable to understand the students speaking to me and missing what was happening on the tumor side of me.  I thought it in the best interest of the students and myself to not risk the potential accident due to my lack of control. 

So what is my point, W&W might have been an option that would have worked for me for the 3 years I needed to obtain full retirement.  Would I do anything differently?  No, the risk was also that my post surgery symptoms could have been more severe than they were.  I am considered a very short recovery and presently I am in pretty good shape, in the past two months, my vertigo and balance issues seem to be going away, the chronic fatigue is getting better and I am returning to the activities I was used to before all the fuss at diagnosis.  Will I go back to work?  Coming out of retirement as a teacher is out of the question, finding a position with my certification for one and the cost of penalties for restarting a retirement annuity are prohibitive.  I am still having some problems with crowds and don't think teaching is the right fit at this point.  I am in no hurry looking for my next life to be my dream job still looking.  W&W and or use of sick time might have been a better solution and could have kept me in teaching for an extended time.  Or it could have made recovery harder and symptoms worse than they were.  Hard to say which would have been the better result, but I am still very comfortable with my decision and would not have changed anything if I could go back.

My advice would be to consult with your physician next MRI about location of the tumor is the space around going to restrict growth and cause pressure on nerves?  How much growth is enough to say I am in an active growth cycle as others have mentioned here growth can change quickly, some where in between or be nonexistent for years.  The hearing symptom you are exhibiting pre-surgery is most likely not going to change post surgery, be prepared to exercise the changes in lifestyle to compensate for them and embrace them don't battle against them.  Consider where you are now, are my symptoms troublesome enough that sooner is better than later to get them under control.  Location, location, location other nerves facial nerve, balance nerve, etc. can be effected and all contribute their own set of circumstances, will the outcome be better for them if action is taken early.

No two people will be effected in the same way and you will have to make the choice that fits your situation the best.  Do the research, look at as many of these posts especially the of people who have kept a diary of their experiences.  Many of the posts on this forum are from those of us who have had negative experiences but that is because we are looking for understanding and explanation for what we are experiencing and how to deal with them as they come. During sudden hearing loss lots of things like phantom voices, pinging sounds etc. come out of the blue and are hard to put a name to as they happen.   I think that those who are long term tend to fall away from this site because they have returned to a normal life and moved on.

Good luck with your research and decision, I hope that my ramblings have been of some value.  This journey is an obstacle in the road but will not be a road block.  Keep positive and looking ahead you will get through this.

Ed

ANGuy

Re: 60% of AN's have no growth
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 08:35:57 am »
Hi Cont1592,
I see that it has been about 5 months since the original post on this thread.  Just wondering where you are in W&W and have you decided to make the plunge yet.  I was diagnosed June of 2013 chose not to W&W had GK surgery Aug 2013.  My AN was small  but I decided that bigger would not make it easier to deal with, considering I was in an active growth cycle.  I am in driving distance of UPMC Pittsburgh and was very comfortable with my decision.  I am 14 months post toasty and have gone through some difficult balance issues, vertigo, lost 90% hearing and huge tinnitus, fatigue.  I was unable to continue in my teaching career due to one sided deafness, my situation is not the norm, I was a votech teacher with a class of special needs students, no teaching assistants and dangerous environment, welding, live electrical projects, machinery, saws, motors etc.  I was unable to understand the students speaking to me and missing what was happening on the tumor side of me.  I thought it in the best interest of the students and myself to not risk the potential accident due to my lack of control. 

So what is my point, W&W might have been an option that would have worked for me for the 3 years I needed to obtain full retirement.  Would I do anything differently?  No, the risk was also that my post surgery symptoms could have been more severe than they were.  I am considered a very short recovery and presently I am in pretty good shape, in the past two months, my vertigo and balance issues seem to be going away, the chronic fatigue is getting better and I am returning to the activities I was used to before all the fuss at diagnosis.  Will I go back to work?  Coming out of retirement as a teacher is out of the question, finding a position with my certification for one and the cost of penalties for restarting a retirement annuity are prohibitive.  I am still having some problems with crowds and don't think teaching is the right fit at this point.  I am in no hurry looking for my next life to be my dream job still looking.  W&W and or use of sick time might have been a better solution and could have kept me in teaching for an extended time.  Or it could have made recovery harder and symptoms worse than they were.  Hard to say which would have been the better result, but I am still very comfortable with my decision and would not have changed anything if I could go back.

My advice would be to consult with your physician next MRI about location of the tumor is the space around going to restrict growth and cause pressure on nerves?  How much growth is enough to say I am in an active growth cycle as others have mentioned here growth can change quickly, some where in between or be nonexistent for years.  The hearing symptom you are exhibiting pre-surgery is most likely not going to change post surgery, be prepared to exercise the changes in lifestyle to compensate for them and embrace them don't battle against them.  Consider where you are now, are my symptoms troublesome enough that sooner is better than later to get them under control.  Location, location, location other nerves facial nerve, balance nerve, etc. can be effected and all contribute their own set of circumstances, will the outcome be better for them if action is taken early.

No two people will be effected in the same way and you will have to make the choice that fits your situation the best.  Do the research, look at as many of these posts especially the of people who have kept a diary of their experiences.  Many of the posts on this forum are from those of us who have had negative experiences but that is because we are looking for understanding and explanation for what we are experiencing and how to deal with them as they come. During sudden hearing loss lots of things like phantom voices, pinging sounds etc. come out of the blue and are hard to put a name to as they happen.   I think that those who are long term tend to fall away from this site because they have returned to a normal life and moved on.

Good luck with your research and decision, I hope that my ramblings have been of some value.  This journey is an obstacle in the road but will not be a road block.  Keep positive and looking ahead you will get through this.

Ed

Ed,

Regardless on any difficulties you are getting over, or still dealing with, you have a concise, brilliant, writing style. 
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.