Author Topic: BAHA is out  (Read 17164 times)

Obita

Re: BAHA is out
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 06:17:04 pm »
Hi Jean:

Chris's audiologist likes the Sharkey better.  Look at the start of the thread from Chrissmom.

I have an appointment with my audiologist in 4 weeks.  Boppie went to see her's yesterday.  I'm sure she will post her audiologists recommendation soon.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 06:37:34 pm »
your NOT gonna be able the tell the direction of sound from either product.. (and that includes BAHA) ... in the case when the one ear is nerve deaf  (SSD), as in the case of a trans-lab ... sound on the deaf side with the vibrations on the deaf ear are picked up by the good ear .. and ALL the sound "feels" like its coming from that side ... and the brain hears it on the good side, but it coming from both.

Now having said that .. in cases were the nerve is NOT dead .. mainly if you have no eardrum or ear canal or you can't wear a normally hearing aid .. the BAHA  aids are even better, each side can be worn, and each nerve picks up its own sound, and you can locate direction .. only the MARKETING of these aids forget to tell you this ...

now // if your real close, and talking on the deaf side, and it not noisy, I might be able to tell direction if the volume on the BAHA is to loud, because you will sound like a AM radio  >:( so there for you must be on my bad side .. but this is a logic decision, and NOT my brain telling me which side its on ... its hard to explain .....normally the volume is lower, so its sound kinda mixes in .. so this is not a normal case...

now dont get me wrong, I love my BAHA  ;D ... but I hate to see anyone get thier hopes up, only to realize it does not work that way  >:(
who knows, maybe in a few years, I could learn to know direction , but dont count on it... thats all I'm tring to say...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 06:52:10 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Boppie

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 06:59:49 pm »
for TransEar   paste  this     www.transear.com      You will get to their site.

My audiologist is sending to TransEar for a "kit" and info for this aid.  She saw the vendor at a conference.  She said its been in the works for a long time, but hadn't known it was available yet. There is a link and video with the first TransEar user on local news.  He is middle aged, AN patient, and loves his TransEar. 

The good side hearing must be within certain parameters.  I passed the tests for it so we are waiting to hear back from TransEar about a trial aid. 

Interesting fact here...  Some people don't get enough sound vibrations through their skull to use a bone conduction device.  I tested out okay. 

My Dad would've liked to know I didn't have a "thick skull" after all! :D

I hope I have more news for y'all in a week.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:32:36 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 07:10:10 pm »
Joef is absolutely right there is no directionality help in any aid.  Furthermore tinnitis will not go away with an aid. 

My audiologist wants to find out if my good ear and its particular hearing characteristics could be aided to lessen the hissing I have.  Pre surgery I had only the regular buz, and pulsing tinnitis.  Now I have this other thing like teeny bells tinking with every sound.  Pure tones do not give me the hissing/jingling.  I am able to live with it but on humid days in South Texas it is pretty noisy ::) inside here.

Jeanlea

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 07:22:03 pm »
Boppie,

Thanks for sharing.  Along with the TransEar did you discuss the Starkey Destiny with your audiologist?  I will be looking forward to hearing more information.  As soon as I get my new teaching contract and the insurance is settled I will be making a trip to my audiologist.  I've noticed that when I rub a Q tip on the inside of my deaf ear that I can hear it.  I wonder if that means I have good bone conduction.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 10:48:11 pm »
Jeanlea, My audiologist did not believe a Starkey CIC Destiny would help me at all. 

But to test for the possibility of using the TransEar she clamped a small phone against my deaf side on the bone behind my ear and then blocked off my good ear canal.  I could identify and repeat the words that she said through the bad side phone.  That just astounded me.  She proved I had still hearing through the bone.  That means the bone conducts the sounds to the good ear nerve.  I experienced the same thing with the BAHA test band on my head 6 weeks after surgery in January.

I think the price for each of the aids available is between $2,500 and $3,000.  So the trick is to have an audiologist who really wants to spend the time to match you up with the one that is best for you.

It is strange I don't hear anything when I use a Q-tip in my deaf ear.  But I hear the sound when I tap my skull back there.   

Boppie

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 11:00:03 pm »
The point about the small ear canal could be an issue for me, too.  The audiologist stated that I had really small ear canals.  So, an answer won't be availble until we get the trial units and specifications for measurements.  Getting set up for any hearing aid takes a few months I think.

UpdateAudiologist states the latest technology for the feedback prevention is good in the Starkey and they are promoting it hard.  But not everyone can use every aid.  I don't exactly know why but she is still not recommending the CIC Destiney for me.   I learned that my good ear has a deficit in the upper range so maybe that fact complicates my choice of aids.  I could end up with a Phonak Bi-Cros.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:18:01 pm by Boppie »

chrissmom

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 07:00:16 am »
The Starkey Destiny and Transear work the same.  An Audiologist in the same Dept. with SSD tried both, she felt that the Transear was uncomfortable and she experienced a feedback, buzzing sound similar to a stadium effect.  She tried the Destiny and really liked the quality of the sound, she felt that she experienced excellent directionality and quality of sound in several situations.

I'm not deaf, so I can only  tell you what she experienced.  We don't know if Chris is a candidate for Destiny.  His ear canal must be measured.  We go to Pittsburgh today.  I'll get more information to pass on to all of you.  Chris is young, still in college.  He needs something that is comfortable, removable, and I think he needs the best directionality for classes and driving etc.  His hearing loss was sudden so he is missing it.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 08:32:54 am »
Seems like I'm only deaf in one ear only when I think about it or when my tinnitus escalates. As far as I am concerned, I am fine "as is" unless my good ear should deteriorate some.  :-\

chrissmom

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 07:17:04 pm »
Ok Listen Up (Teacher Voice) ::)
 Here is what I learned today.

1.  Joef is right, nothing is going to help alot with the direction that sound is coming from and sometimes the good ear gets overwhelmed with sounds in all transcranial hearing devices, including BAHA.  The brain has trouble sorting it out.

2.   With Destiny, you can use the telephone with your deaf ear but that's not a big deal.

3.   Destiny is totally in the ear canal but you must be tested to determine if the sound waves will travel thru the skull to the other ear.  The reason for this is to determine the power necessary to send the signals from Destiny to the good ear . 

4.   Some people choose to do nothing about their SSD (single-sided deafness) and that's ok.  They adjust well to the situation.

5.   If you want a hearing device with good quality sound, cutting edge software and no feedback, Destiny is a good choice.

6.   Destiny is a good starting point too for someone who only wants a hearing device for driving and social situations.  You can remove it or turn it off.

7.  You can't see it in the ear  unless you really look for it.

8.  OVR might pay for it.

9.  Our doctor told us to keep watch for new implantable devices that are currently being developed.  They will be implantable in the middle ear.  He said some exciting new technologies are on the horizon but not yet available.  Chris is young and we have a future ahead of us.

Good Luck to all of you.  Here is the website again.  There are some interesting videos here too. http://www.starkey.com/

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 09:52:45 pm »

oh I'm right ? ..  just does not happen very offten, just ask my wife  :P  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 05:27:06 pm »
thanks for all the input!

VR is paying for my hearing aid I'm just in the beginning stages it's nice to know what's aval so I know what to ask for when I see the audiologist :o)  If you're right handed..hearing with the left ear can make a big difference in being able to write notes while talking :o

robinm

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006, 05:29:23 pm »
Hey Chrissmom,
Like Chris, I am also young (23) and have single sided deafness. And I also do not want hole in my head or somthing that can be seen on the ear. I am excited about what you have found out about transcranial aid. Please keep us informing more about it. Also, let me know if you have heard about anything better that are on the horizon. I can wait for sometime before really going for it. BTW, how did Chriss lose his hearing?

Thanks,
Robin

gb4821

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 01:33:07 pm »
I am trying to get as much info as possible about hearing aids.  With this thread has anyone had experince with the Starkey Destiny CIC?  Has anyone had any experince with both Transear and Starkey?

Thanks for the info.

Greg Brown
Greg Brown
1.5 cm AN Removed 1/22/07
Suboccipital Procedure:OHSU ( Portland Oregon); Dr. McMinemee and Dr. Delishaw
Complete removeal of tumor but hearing nerve on left side was severed.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 01:38:28 pm »
Hi Greg,

Not sure if you have read the "Hearing Forum" here, but here's a thread from that forum re: TransEar... LOTS of feedback on it... hope it helps.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2933.0

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"