Author Topic: Pay It Forward  (Read 3789 times)

David Wrubel

Pay It Forward
« on: January 02, 2007, 06:02:51 pm »
Hope everyone has a happy and healthy new year.

Although I have not contributed very much to the Forum this year, I have practiced a particular kind of support since my AN surgery more than six  years ago. As a result of my posts here and elsewhere, I am contacted directly by newly diagnosed people and direct referrals from my doctors fairly often and pretty consistently....probably one or two per month. Whenever I get that email or phone call, I will drop everything and write a reply or talk on the phone. Nothing is more important than helping someone who is feeling as stunned and ignorant as I once did, and the sooner one can start the process with optimism, hope, and confidence, the better and less overwhelming it becomes.

Every situation is different, naturally, but insurers refusing to pay for out-of-network doctors for people who have no access to local, experienced AN neurosurgeons is becoming increasingly prevalent. Still, I believe that where there's a will, there's a way, and one's choice of surgeon should not be dictated by insurance companies, which are concerned not with your outcome, but with their business practices, policies, and bottom line. Forgive my digression, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, my new  year's resolution is to keep doing what I've been doing. Pay It Forward was a movie in which the central premise was that if an individual does something positive for three people and they ask how they can repay the kindness, the answer is: Do something positive for three other people.  In the movie, this was supposed to change the world for the better. But whether it can or not, I do believe in it, have seen it work many times and for many people over the years...and all it takes is a little time.
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Pay It Forward
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:28:02 pm »
Good for you David!!!  Three cheers!  I have been practicing this for 20 years...when I was younger and didn't have much cash to play with my friends, I had one friend who paid my way on numerous occasions...now I never let anyone's cash situation get in the way if I want to do something with them....I have taken someone along on many of occasions and tried to brighten their life the way mine was, and all I ask in return is for them to pay it forward.  Before the movie, I used to say "pass it on".  So I hope others have benefitted from this.  There are many ways to make this work, and this is my niche.  I applaud anyone who practices it!!!

Nothing to do with AN except....now I can practice it with my AN friends who can't work because of thier disability!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 06:32:28 pm »
Great movie!  Something I hope we all try to do!  DW sounds like you had an excellent outcome..are you playing basketball yet?  :-* I guess I should ask could you play basektball before?   ;D

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:00:19 pm »
Hi David ... remember me? I'm in Shelton,CT ....

you see all, David here is another CT person ! were a strong bunch ...  8) ever get a referral that lives down my way? feel free to drop my name  :)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

David Wrubel

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:20:50 pm »
BP...nope, still can't play basketball. I could before, but dribbling and running and thinking all at the same time takes a whole bunch of equilibrium that I don't have any more. So I stick to coaching a little. Small price to pay, I think!!

Joe...Sure I remember you. Aside from yourself, there was a woman in Stamford, one in Weston, and one other from Fairfield county.
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

Static

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 08:34:07 pm »
That was a great movie and  good for you or anyone who does what you do!  I don't have alot to offer but at least I can be courteous to other people.  I live on the east coast, Philadelphia area to be specific, and people just aren't as friendly as they used to be around here, and everyone is always in a hurry.  The only thing I figure I can do is try to be friendly and give people a break (on the road) and different things like hHelping older folks with their groceries, helping neighbors, friends, strangers, and you know what, it makes me feel good doing it too!  My reward is a big wet slobbery kiss from my puppy when I come home at the end of the day!  Who could ask for anything better? 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:21:02 pm »
David:

Greetings from another Connecticut resident.  I'm too 'new' here to be familiar with your prior postings but it certainly is encouraging to read of another AN 'postie' who is doing so well 6 years after his surgery.

Like you, I had a very successful AN surgery (see my signature) - and I was able to have it done in New Haven by a very caring and experienced neurosurgeon (who also happened to accept my medical insurance ).  My recovery went very well, too.  I am blessed.

Like many others, I saw 'Pay It Forward' in 2000 - and I liked the philosophy.  I suppose that's one reason I'm still posting messages on this board, some 7 months post-op.    I learned a lot of very useful information from the folks here, shortly after I was diagnosed, last May.  I vowed that, post-op, I would return to the site and the message boards to contribute whatever I could to help others.

I did manage to direct another Connecticut AN 'newbie' who had planned to go to NYC for treatment (and hated the idea) to my neurosurgeon (his choice) after he PMed me and asked about my experience with Dr. Issac Goodrich.  He didn't need surgery (small AN) but he did undergo radiation therapy from my radiation oncologist at The Hospital of Saint Raphael in New Haven.   I've also been able to help another AN postie living in Manhattan with some insurance issues, or more accurately, my wife will try to help her, by phone, next week.  I offer whatever suggestions and/or encouragment I can to both new and post-op AN patients as do many other members.

However, I probably won't be posting as much this year as I can't make my AN the focus of my entire life and, even if I wanted to, I have only so much time for the internet.  I still intend to visit this site occasionally, even if just to read other folks posts without commenting.  Like you, David, I'll always be ready and willing to discuss - online or by phone - issues any newly diagnosed AN patient may have that I feel I can help in some way. 

Meanwhile, I urge you to continue your good work with AN patients and I congratulate you on your 'Pay iIt Forward' attitude.   :)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:43:09 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

amylynn

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 06:50:35 pm »
Hello David! It' so nice to see you!  What a great post and so true.  Your being available for me played a key role in the life I am living today.  Thanks for being there when I needed you.  I love it how a total stranger can make such a huge difference in someone elses life.  I am eternally gratefull.
Amy
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

lmurray69

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 08:28:02 pm »
 David, what a wonderfull testimoney,,You know God works in many ways,, and I really like the way you think..Hope you'll stay and chat more.. Linda Murray in Missouri
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Obita

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:04:03 pm »
Oh my gosh.  Huge tumor is right.  Nice to meet you David and I am so happy you had such a good outcome.

Pay if forward is a good way to live indeed.  I just wish I could honestly say I was that way before my surgery. 

Having a tumor in your head does something to you.  When it is gone, you feel like the luckiest person on earth.  I like to calm anxieties if possible, and offer my shoulder to those less fortunate than I.

What a great thread.  Thank you.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines