Author Topic: My initial impressions of my new Sclerals lens.  (Read 57555 times)

badyellowvette

My initial impressions of my new Sclerals lens.
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:42:21 am »
Frist time in 29 years my eye hasen't felt dry. This is just my second day with the lens but what a relief. This is a temporay lens because it doesn't fit quite right, I can feel it in my eye pretty bad but I can now keep my eye open when needed.  Doctor says one edge is lifting and they ordered another for me to try. I hope the feeling is not the major weight that is in my lid at 3 grams. They did put a very little prescription in the lens to clear up the vision in my right eye, I can't notice much.

Total price was $350 and when I try the new lens I have 90 day to order a extra lens for half price of the lens itself $125. Appointments and fit was just $100 first lens $250.

The Doctors and the special lens fitter trained for fitting the Sclerals lens are excellent. They really take their time with you to get the best possible fit. She took lots of time training me to put the lens in and out. I had watched the YouTube video many times on how it's done so I had no problem with it. I use one finger to put it in and the little plunger to take it out. Building up my wear time each day for now.

Anybody in PA close to Brookville and need a Sclerals lens check them out.
http://www.laureleye.com/
Small orange size AN removed 5-15-1985
Tarsarophy done 5-19-1985
Thumbnail size AN removed 4-18-1993
Tarsarophy removed and 1.6g gold weight added 7-22-1993
From 7-26-01 to 2-25-2013 five more surgery's on eyelid with now 3g of gold weight

Jill Marie

Re: My initial impressions of my new Sclerals lens.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:29:06 am »
So glad to hear you got your lens and that you are enjoying the benefits of not having your eye feel dry!  I don't have a weight in my eye so I don't know if the edge lifting problem is caused by that or not.  I do know that I had an issue with one side of my lens when I got it and the eye doctor was able to tweak it in the office so it fit better.  There are so many little things that can change how the lens fits and feels, you will learn in time how to figure out what works best for you and what causes the issues. 

For instance:  When the eye doctor put a prescription in my lens I couldn't wear the lens, my eye was constantly irritated by the lens, she tried at least two different lenses with the prescription then decided to go back to the plain lens that, "I LOVED."  She was anxious to try different things on me but could tell that my comfort was more important.  She could tell from the look on my face and what I told her that I was just so happy to be pain free that I didn't care about the vision. 

Glad you are getting an extra lens, I need to do that too, had planned to do it but haven't, thanks for the reminder.  The last thing you want is to have something happen to your lens, that's when you remember what it's like to not have it and you will miss it terribly. 

I've had my lens for just over a year now and life is so much better now.  Just the other day my husband mentioned to me that he could tell the quality of my life had really improved.  The quality of his life improved as well because I'm able to do more things then I could before and those things I did but didn't enjoy that much I do more often.  I'm really looking forward to Spring so once again I can ride bikes with my Hubby and not have to stop every 5 to 15 minutes(depending on the wind) to put more ointment in my eye).  Just one of tons of examples. 

Please keep me updated on how you are doing and feel free to ask questions!  Will help when I can!  Take Care and  Congratulations, Jill  ;)

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:50:00 am »
That's a great price on the back-up lens. I'd go for it.

I second what Jill Marie said about quality of life. My sister tells me that my appearance is incredibly better since I started wearing the lens. I think it's because I no longer have to concentrate so hard on compensating for half-fuzzy vision, but it can only help not to sport a big smear of gel under that eye most of the time.

I have a fairly heavy (1.8 gram) platinum weight in my eyelid. It does not cause any edge issues. Do you notice any drooping in that eyelid due to your weight?

Finally, do you know the brand of the lens you are using?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

badyellowvette

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:25:30 pm »
Thanks girls, Having a little trouble wearing lens for more then a few hours. Doctor said the new lens will fit much better.
Sorry I don't know who made my lens but I will ask when I go back.
As far as quality of life, can't wait to ride my Motorcycle without stopping every 8-10 miles for an eye drop, that is with wearing goggles that block all wind. Maybe I can get rid of them and wear something cool looking   8)
From 7-26-01 to 2-25-2013 five more surgery's on eyelid with now 3g of gold weight

Brendapmohr

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 06:18:49 pm »
I am new to ANA after 20 years!  Wow have they changed and advanced!  Impressive.  Where can I go to get more info. on sclerals lenses?  After caring for my dry eye for 20 years, I have a very damaged eye with scars.  The doctors are wanting me to get a prostetic eye but I know there must be some other approach!  I am turing to ANA patients for any information or advice.  The sclerals lens sounds wonderful.  I am happy you are finding it successful!

badyellowvette

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 10:08:25 am »
I am new to ANA after 20 years!  Wow have they changed and advanced.  Impressive! 

Where can I go to get more info on sclerals lenses?  After caring for my dry eye for 20 years, I have a very damaged eye with scars.  The doctors want me to get a prosthetic eye but I know there must be some other approach!  I am turning to ANA patients for any information or advice.  The sclerals lens sounds wonderful.  I'm happy you're finding it successful!

You should consult with a Doctor that fits the Scleral lens to see if they can help you. I had trouble finding someone, so I just started calling eye Doctors until I found someone fairly close (1 1/2 hours) away. I also started searching the internet for info on the lens. There are also videos on Youtube about the lens.

I had a very flat cornea because of Lasik vision correction in 1999 so I am hard to fit with the lens but they keep trying until it fits. I was out in the cold wind for hours Saturday and never thought about needing a eye drop. Normally I would have been putting drops in every 10 minutes.

Here is one link that can help.  http://www.sclerallens.org/about

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:09:37 pm by Jim Scott »

Jill Marie

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:12 am »
How soon do you get your new lens?  You will be even happier with the lens once you get one that fits right, you won't even know you're wearing the lens except when you stop a moment to appreciate how much better you feel because your eye isn't bothering you!  Glad you got a chance to enjoy being out in the wind!

Welcome to the forum Brenda,
In addition to the helpful info you've been given I suggest you do a search on this forum as there are a few threads about the lens.  You will want to search for schleral lens, sclerals lens and scleral lens as there are different spellings for the same lens.  In addition some of us have gotten a lens that works great for us but isn't actually a scleral lens but something similar that works great for us but is fitted easier then the scleral and more eye doctor offices can get you one. 

After you do a bit of research please post again with questions, we are more than happy to help someone else obtain a pain free eye as we have.  I had my surgery 22 years ago this June so know how you feel, it's been even longer for badyellowvette so we understand what you are going through. 

Sara has posted lots of helpful info that you will want to look into.

Looking forward to hearing from you, Jill Marie :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 10:13:37 pm »
Brenda, I wrote about my experiences on my weblog at http://www.sarahartman.com/the-eyes-have-it/ and http://www.sarahartman.com/dry-eye-triumph/

At the end of the first post I have a list of as many scleral lens manufacturers as I could locate, with web links. Some of them have provider lists on their sites so you may be able to find a practitioner that way.

Depending on how badly scarred your eye is, you might need to look into a custom fitted scleral lens such as Boston Foundation for Sight or Global Refractive Solutions (the final two on my list), but it's also possible that one of the standard sclerals will do the trick. I would certainly look into all of your options before such a drastic measure as a prosthetic eye.

Where do you live?
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

badyellowvette

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 03:15:41 pm »
Got my new lens Wednesday and I can hardly feel it in my eye. I can tell it's there if I think about it. The problem is I can see very well out of it. Vision is kind of cloudy after about an hour and never gets better. Doctor can't seem to tell me why, so I don't know what to do about it. Going to see her in two weeks. Guess I will keep trying until then. Anyone else have this problem with the Scleral Lens?

Jill Marie

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
Hi Jim,

Really glad to hear you got your new lens and that you can hardly feel it in your eye, that's the way it should be, it should even get better.  Unless my eye is irritated for some reason I don't even think about the lens.  As for the cloudy vision, I'm no help there as I still use ointment 24/7 so my vision is always cloudy in that eye.  Recall someone saying they had the same issue you do, don't know if they got it cleared up or not.  You might want to do some research on this site to see what others have said about the lens.  I don't know if there is anyone other than Sara and I that have the lens that our on the board very much.  I might check a bit tomorrow, for tonight I'm taking it easy.  Hope you are enjoying the new lens.  Jill

badyellowvette

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 05:30:22 pm »
Thanks Jill
I have wore the lens for more then 8 hours without much trouble other then not being able to see. Another problem I have is getting it out. Have the little plunger but the lens sticks to my eye so hard it's difficult to get it lose. Never mastered the plucking it out with my fingers. Even drops don't loosen it up any. How do you take yours out?

Jim

Jill Marie

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 07:41:33 pm »
Hi Jim

I found the posts I was thinking about that mentioned the cloudy lens.  It would be easier for you to go to the post then for me to post it here as there's a few replies that will hopefully help you.  The post is one I started under eye issues as this one is, the post is titled, I'm very, very happy with my scleral lens.  Go down to the post Ginsue made on Oct. 15th and read from there. 

I take my lens out with the plunger also, never tried using my fingers.  Practice makes perfect in getting the lens out, after a while you just automatically hit the right spot in the lens to get it out, I usually hit it the 2nd time.  I remember well the fear that I wouldn't get it out at all, would be stuck tell the next morning and would have to have the doctor remove it, that has never happened.  The lens I have know is easier to get out then the one I first had despite them supposedly being exactly the same.  I went through several plungers with the old lens as they would wear out because it took more times to get the lens out.  I got my last lens in July and I'm still using the same plunger.  It's also possible that as your eye gets better from wearing the lens it will be easier for you to get the lens out.  Occasionally my eye still gets irritated and when it is it's harder to get the lens out, sticks like it does on you.  Lots of trial and error and it's all worth it!  Every time something (ulcerated cornea, broke my lens, couldn't get lens out) happens that makes me freak out a bit I remind myself that at least the next time it happens I will know how to deal with it and it won't bother me.  I freak out a bit because I don't want to EVER go back to life before the lens!  Hope the lens keeps getting better for you!  Jill :)

badyellowvette

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 10:14:26 am »
Thanks Jill for pointing me toward that post, I now have some things to try. Jim

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 01:55:25 pm »
Hi Jim, I have a couple of thoughts for you. First about the cloudiness. One of the functions of blinking is to distribute the tear film over the surface of our cornea. Since our blink is incomplete that does not happen, at least not thoroughly. In addition, depending on where the facial nerve was damaged, we may not make as many tears.

The scleral lens works best when the top surface is clean and moist. Both of those things are compromised in our case. First thing I would try is a couple of hard blinks, forcing your eye shut and holding it closed for a second or two. If that doesn't help, try putting in an eyedrop, the less lubricated the better since the lubricants will put a film on the lens. I use vials of sterilized saline marketed for use with nebulizers. Just purified water and salt.

If your vision remains cloudy you may need to remove the lens, rinse it really well and reinsert. Some days I get through without messing with my lens at all. Some days I have to refill in the middle of the day, some days I have to do it several times. I have not figured out any way to predict.

As far as removal, I don't like the thought of using my fingers so I always use a plunger. It seems to help to put a drop of saline in my eye and on the plunger. Then the trick becomes to find the best spot. For me it is just off center on the lower edge of the lens away from my nose. My lens goes on my left eye so if I imagine my eye is a clock when I am looking in the mirror, the best spot is about 7:00. You do need to pick a spot on the outer edge of the iris rather than on the pupil because that will increase the suction of the lens. Also there are two kinds of plungers. One is solid and one has a hollow core that increases the level of suction when it is squeezed and decreases the level when it is released. I like the hollow type better.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:58:57 pm by saralynn143 »
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

badyellowvette

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 09:52:28 am »
Thanks Jill I will keep trying.
I didn't use any lube last night to see if that helps the cloudiness as Ginsue tried.
I really have no trouble getting the suction cup to stick on the lens it's getting the lens upstuck from my eye. Using as many drops with this lens as I did before the lens maybe more, doesn't seem to help the lens stuck to my eye. It really hurts when it's stuck and comes off. Doctor says it can tear the lens of your eye and that is why she don't like the suction cup removel method. I don't like my fingers in my eye either can only make things worse.

Jim