Author Topic: Ear Pressure  (Read 4108 times)

Echo

Ear Pressure
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:55:18 pm »
For the past 3 days I've been having pressure in my ear that is similar to having water in your ear when swimming.  It goes from being mildly uncomfortable to super uncomfortable. At times the side of my head around my ear, including the ear, actually feels numb.  It's hard to describe. When the pressure is at it's worst my hearing is really bad and then when the pressure subsides, my hearing is back to what I consider normal, although it's not great.  It doesn't seem to make any difference if I'm lying down or walking around. 

I'm trying to ignore it and hope it goes away.  I'm 5 months post Gamma next week.  I know not all AN's swell post Gamma, but what else could be causing this? Any pointers on how to deal with this and perhaps make it go away?

Thanks,
Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

cindyjarrett

Re: Ear Pressure
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:45 pm »
Cathie,

I had GK on October 12, 2012.   At around four or five months I had pain begin in my jaw and ear.  After consulting with my doctor, I was put on steroids.  Everything seemed to calm back down.  The MRI did show some swelling.  I have on several occasions had a pressure feeling in my head which I sometimes feel is triggered by weather conditions.  At my last MRI in December, 2013, the tumor has shrank, and the doctors feel it is dying. 

If you continue to have symptoms,  I would contact your doctor.  Best wishes.

Cindy
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

Echo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:47 pm »
Hi Cindy,

First off, that's wonderful news to hear about your December MRI.  I hope things continue to go well for you.  It's very encouraging for the rest of us!!

I go for my first 6 month MRI and see my neurosurgeon mid March so I would like to tough it out if I can.  How long were you on the steroids for and what kind of side effects did they cause? 

I'm also similar to you with changes in the weather and experience anything from pressure in my head to increased balance issues.  I have to say though the pressure I've had in my ear seems different from the usual feeling I get.  All part of the process I guess.

Cathie.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:24:24 am by Echo »

cindyjarrett

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:25:33 pm »
Cathie,

Doctors put me on a basic steroid for a week, and it did nothing.  Called them back, and they put me on Dexamethasone tablets for about 20 days.  This worked immediately.  I actually went to my ENT before calling my doctors because I thought I had ear infection.   The pain has never returned.  The only side effects I had were tremendous amount of energy and could not sleep very well.

Good luck with your upcoming MRI and keep us posted.

Cindy
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

Echo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:54:46 pm »
I have mentioned on previous posts my sensitivity to weather (barometric changes). Yesterday while I was having the worst day ever with my ear and this weird pressure, we were also having the worst snow storm we've had in a few years.  It was relentless all day and I ended up with over 15 inches in my driveway to get rid of. Today the weather was clear and I had absolutely no ear pressure all day!!!  ???  I have no idea if the last three days of weird head and ear pressure were weather related with the storm coming and going or if it's just a coincidence.  I'm very glad things are back to normal tonight. 

Thanks for the info on steroids Cindy, I will definitely keep it on file.  I suspect this will not be an isolated incident, weather related or not.

Cathie.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:26:02 am by Echo »

mesafinn

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 07:33:12 am »
I know changes in air pressure are common in air travel, but I've also noticed the kind of air pressure you describe when I'm flying.  Post-GK, I get a sensation during the flight that I never used to experience.

I suspect (tho don't know) that there is something to air pressure, changes in the atmosphere, and what you're experiencing.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

Echo

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:43:54 am »
Hi Patrick - I have no idea honestly about the degree that barometric pressure can effect us, but since the storm system moved on, my ear has been 100% back to normal.  YAHOO!!

Cathie.