Author Topic: Considering Hearing Aid - single aid then convert to CROS later  (Read 3475 times)

BeckyMax

Considering Hearing Aid - single aid then convert to CROS later
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:20:56 pm »
I finished CyberKnife on 12/9/13 and I'm not finally moving forward with a hearing aid.   I was initially considering the CROS but during my hearing aid evaluation the audiologist gave me a little test....she raised the decible rating in my left ear (my AN side) to 80 db, and left the right ear alone.  I tested 100% of the word recognition score when she did this.     She suggested I try just a single aid in my bad ear, hoping that I will achieve a more natural feel by having the sound actually be processed in the correct ear.  She also thought this could assist with my tinnitus, as my brain could then hear the missing sounds and not try to recreate them on their own.   This does make some sense to me.   She recommended the Phonak (edit - Phonak Naida Q) which can be converted to CROS later on if needed.    I'm going to give it a try, get to pick it up on 2/11, will try it for 2 weeks on it's on, then she will convert to CROS with a demo model she has in her office so that I can so what the differences are.    The best part about this is that cost savings would be about $1800 by not having to by the second receiver.    I'll be sure to report back, this obviously wouldn't work for Translab patients who have total hearing loss, but I have moderate loss and it might be a good solution for me until the time when (if) I lose the rest of my hearing.

As an aside - I love the color pink.  when it came time to chose colors of the shell, I went with Transparent purple (they dont' have pink).  The audiologist was thrilled, said I was only the 2nd person to order a fun color from her.  I told her I have been waiting over a year to get my aid and if I'm gonna wear it, I will wear it proud!   

Becky
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:37:01 pm by BeckyMax »
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Considering Hearing Aid - single aid then convert to CROS later
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:53:39 am »
As long as you have serviceable hearing in the AN ear (and no issues on the other side) then a single hearing aid is a good idea and, with luck, will turn out to be a permanent solution.

I took the flesh colored hearing aids. But I wear my hair a little long over the ears so nobody notices them anyway.

I might have gone with Plum Crazy or Hemi Orange if they had been available.  ;D
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:18:50 am »
I have only 12% word recognition in my AN ear and decided on a Phonak Bolero hearing aid in that ear, nothing in my good ear.  I started out testing Phonak BiCROS, then a BAHA, and finally the single hearing aid.  I like having the sense of directionality my single aid provides.  And battery life is way, way longer than the CROS.  Word recognition still isn't very good but I am happy that I know when somebody is talking to me on the AN side.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

BeckyMax

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:54:42 pm »
Arizona Jack - around these parts we prefer "hugger orange"   my DH is a Camaro owner.

My word recognition is at about 40% unaided, but increased to around 90% when the volume was set to 90 db during the test.   I'm hopeful that it will work for me and give me the assistance I need while preserving directionality.   I'll be sure to post back.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13