Author Topic: 4 Gamma Knife Sessions Question  (Read 4366 times)

janetsue

4 Gamma Knife Sessions Question
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:29:47 pm »
Hello, again...

I apologize for asking so many questions, but I read that GK can be done in 4 treatment sessions instead of just one big one. If someone has done this, would you please let me know your outcome/how you're doing? From what I gathered, it's not supposed to affect the facial nerve and hearing and help keep the patient from having memory loss years down the road. This sounds great, but is it true?!

Info. would be wonderful and I thank you like always!

sandyinwisconsin

Re: 4 Gamma Knife Sessions Question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:10 pm »
I just finished 27 treatments of radiation for a total of 48 gray.  The doctor did this to help spare my hearing and balance.  He was very concerned about me having one shot of radiation which would have taken out both of those.  Dr. Andrews of Philadelphia does the 27 treatments and spoke at the symposium about how this procedure can save a lot of problems.

I drove 2 1/2 hours one way and never skipped a beat.  I had more energy than ever. 

If you have this option, I would check into it.  They did it on the Truebeam Linear Accelerator in Madison, WI.   

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

Echo

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:08:42 pm »
I had one single Gamma Knife session for a 2.4cm AN.  My neurosurgeon said I had a 2% chance of possibly experiencing some facial weakness but I would not experience any paralysis.  Gamma gave me the best opportunity to hold onto what hearing I still have but it will eventually at some point go.  There are no guarantees with an AN that you will retain your hearing long term.  While it's only been four months since my Gamma treatment, so far I'm doing great!  I do have some ongoing balance issues but they are nothing I can't manage. 

As for keeping the patient from having memory loss years down the road....that's a new one for me.  In all the research I have done, I have not come across anything relating Gamma Knife to memory loss down the road.  Perhaps others who have had Gamma can comment on this.

Cathie

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Ruthie Mac

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 03:34:16 pm »
I had 4 sessions of radiation, but not with GK. It was a linear accelerator machine called the Trilogy made by the Varian company. It's supposed to have a very precise targeting capability.

I chose this treatment in hopes of preserving my hearing, as the Doctor I trusted the most was convinced it was the best choice. However, during my research it seemed the statistics are the same for any of the methods of radiation, so it really did become a personal choice.
 I made the decision mostly based on the fact that I personally knew someone who had the same size tumor (1cm) and was the same age when treated, (55) and they're fine - never missed work, travelled a lot. So I went to the same Doctor and had the same procedure.

It's been almost 3 months and I'm ok so far. Still have great hearing, sometimes it seems amplified. It was hard to be in a room with a lot of people talking, but that's getting better. Can enjoy movies and live music again. I was really tired for the first month, but am getting my normal energy level back now. I still have issues with balance and dizziness, but I knew that might get worse before better, so am trying to be patient.
So far I'm glad I made this choice, especially when I hear the birds singing in the morning!
Ruth
4/1/2013  1 cm x 1.6 cm left ear
11/1/2013 SRS Varian Trilogy UMass Medical (4 sessions)
hearing is still good, slight tinnitus, working on balance issues

tinabean925

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:30:51 pm »
Has anyone heard of this radiosurgery turning tumors malignant? This is my main concern in deciding between surgery or radiation. Mine is about 2.5 cm and I've been presented with this life altering decision with so little time to think about it. Going for a second opinion shortly.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:00 am »
Has anyone heard of this radiosurgery turning tumors malignant? This is my main concern in deciding between surgery or radiation. Mine is about 2.5 cm and I've been presented with this life altering decision with so little time to think about it. Going for a second opinion shortly.

Tina ~

AN tumors that have been radiated have been known to turn malignant but this is extremely rare to the point of being infinitesimal.  However, ethically and legally, doctors have to make the patient aware of even the remote possibility of such an occurrence to allow the patient to make an informed decision.  This slight risk is why doctors are sometime cautious about recommending radiation treatment for acoustic neuroma patients under 60. 

Frankly, I didn't give malignancy much consideration when I agreed to undergo radiation due to the tiny chance of that happening.  Still, as rare as later tumor malignancy may be, one has to consider the risk and agree to take it - or not.  Another reason why these decisions are considered highly personal.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Echo

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:38:04 am »
I agree with Jim 100%.  My AN was 2.4cm when I decided on Gamma Knife.  I considered all the risks presented to me for surgery and Gamma Knife.  When I compared the extremely small risk of a malignancy to the much greater risks involved with surgery, I ultimately chose Gamma.  For me, leaving the AN inside my head was okay.  In the end, I had a far greater fear of surgery than I did Gamma.   

I have a friend here on the forum who lives within 2 hours of me.  We were discussing this issue one day and he commented that he believed he had a far greater risk of being in a serious car accident commuting on our freeway to work that he did of having his AN become malignant.  For me, that comment made sense.   

Ultimately it's a very personal choice. Follow your instinct!

Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital